Age of Empires III/Deathmatch
From StrategyWiki, the video game walkthrough and strategy guide wiki
Deathmatch is mainly about fighting. You get 20000 of each resource and start in the Post-Industrial age. Here will be hints for playing deathmatch with any civilisation.
- You can use research at the church for 5 shipments (6 for Spanish)
- Sending the Riding School card and getting a Lakota or Cheyenne village and researching the middle thing will make cavalry instantly
- You can use the trade route as a spy to see the enemy's base
- You can fit monitors in the pools in the great plains
- Don't place your factory(s) or fort(s) near to a trade route
- Learn which units are good against other units
- Don't just use one type of unit (e.g. all infantry)
- Mass cannons and ships are generally frowned on because they lag
- If you are attacking, aim for factories or forts because they cannot be built again
- You may want to build a second or third town center if you think the game will drag on, this will help you make more settlers fast
- You should really start collecting resources if any drop under 5000, you may also want to swap wood for coin or gold if you don't use all of it and have a stockpile of it.
- If you find yourself with excess wood and want food, you could build some livestock pens and use the sheep to fatten for some extra food
- Wall off your entire base if you want, if you do, separate it into pieces and keep your factories safe. Use outposts inside the outside walls. Culverins will help defend against mortars because of their long range.
- Capture as many Indian villages as possible; they are useful for flanking, cost no coin, and take up no population.
- If you are the Russians, getting the fencing school and dueling school cards allow you to train halberdiers and musketeers instantly.
- If you are the Spanish, getting early archaic infantry training and fencing school allows you to train pikemen and crossbowmen instantly.