Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance/Weapons
Each character has his or her own weapon needs. Fists are pretty useless unless you are Kromlech, and Adrianna can't carry two handed weapons except for the staff. Lastly if you unlock Drizzt, you have to stick to using the scimitars.
As with armor, you're going to need weapons to take down enemies that are either timid or overpowering. Keep in mind that weapons also add to the weight of your character.
Save up a ton of gold, because the weapons are insanely expensive but can help with your progress. Especially for Adrianna who has the weakest strength, she really needs powerful weapons to overcome the enemies. Same can't be said for Drizzt due to his reliance on his own schimitars.
The effectiveness of a weapon during battle depends on the kind you are carrying, and the enemies you are fighting. Until you have enough gold, you should focus on using the weapon that allows you to deal the most damage while providing survivability (such as a sword and shield or a bow). You want to take down enemies as fast as possible, but you don't want to leave yourself open to attacks.
- One handed weapons: the sequence is attack, attack, attack, attack and pause. When using this type of weapon you should carry a shield to provide your character with increased defense and a way to block. If you want a simple, fast weapon that allows you to block, this should be your first choice. Only Drizzt can't use that kind of weapon.
- Two handed axes and hammers: the sequence is attack, attack, slight pause, sweeping arc and pause. Nearly all but Adrianna and Drizzt can use this kind of weapon. Kromlech is a good choice if you've focused his skills on two handed weapons.
- Two handed swords: the sequence is attack, attack, slight pause, big attack and pause. Nearly all except Adrianna and Drizzt can use this type of weapon. Vahn is well suited to these kinds of weapon because of its lighter flexibility than the axe.
- Long weapons: the sequence is attack, attack, attack, knockback, attack and pause. These powerful weapons are able to take down enemies quickly, especially in the final act. For Adrianna, the only weapon she can carry with two hands is the staff. But Drizzt won't be able to use that kind of weapon.
- Bows: all but Drizzt is able to carry this weapon. All you need is a bow and lots of arrows. Adding the accuracy and targeting skills will show off its supremacy. The best character for this weapon type is Vahn, since he's the Arcane Archer.