This page shows all of Kirby's abilities. They are in alphabetical order starting with single abilities and then showing power combos. Remember that the order you got the power in doesn't matter, so fire+stone is the same thing as stone+fire.
Kirby 64's main gameplay mechanic is the ability to mix any two copy abilities into a different, mixed ability. This can be done by swallowing two enemies at once or by inhaling one and spitting it at another. Upon impact they will combine into a coloured star representing the copy ability. There are various points in the game where a certain combination is needed to enter a side area.
Note: Every possible combination can be created in the first two levels of the game.
These are all of the possible ability combinations.
|Burn||Fire Bird||Fire Arrow||Static Electricity||Fire Sword||Melting Ice Cube||Volcano||Fireworks|
|Needle||Fire Arrow||Spiky Objects||Lightning Rod||Snare||Snowflake||Drill||Exploding Gordo|
|Spark||Static Electricity||Lightning Rod||Area Spark||Light Saber||Refrigerator||Electrified Boulder||Light Bulb|
|Cutter||Fire Sword||Snare||Light Saber||Super Cutter||Ice Skates||Stone Friends||Exploding Shuriken|
|Ice||Melting Ice Cube||Snowflake||Refrigerator||Ice Skates||Giant Snowball||Curling Stone||Exploding Snowman|
|Stone||Volcano||Drill||Electrified Boulder||Stone Friends||Curling Stone||Ultra Stone||Dynamite|
|Bomb||Fireworks||Exploding Gordo||Light Bulb||Exploding Shuriken||Exploding Snowman||Dynamite||Missiles|
These abilities are 2 of the same single ability.
|Double Ability||Ability Name||Description||Image|
|Bomb+Bomb||Missiles||Kirby can fire up to three heat-seeking missiles from his mouth. You shoot one to three, depending on when you release , and they have limited homing capabilities.||
Error creating thumbnail: convert: MemoryAllocationFailed `' @ fatal/cache.c/AcquirePixelCache/190.
Error code: 1
|Cutter+Cutter||Super Cutter||Kirby does the same as he did with the normal Cutter ability. However, the boomerang is much larger with spikes on the edges. The same flying and swimming limitations apply.|
|Burn+Burn||Fire Bird||Essentially a powered-up version of the original Burn ability. Kirby's flame becomes much larger and he flies quite a bit further, too. Be careful using this near pits.||
Error creating thumbnail:
Error code: 139
|Ice+Ice||Giant Snowball||Kirby rolls into a snowball and continues to build up snow as you continue on. Any enemies he contacts will be rolled into the snow and destroyed when the snowball runs into something. You can also press to end the snowball prematurely.||
Error creating thumbnail: convert: UnableToAcquireString `' @ fatal/string.c/AcquireString/126.
Error code: 1
|Needle+Needle||Spiky Objects||Similar to the original Needle ability, except each of the spikes has been replaced by a sharp object. It is also much larger.|
|Spark+Spark||Area Spark||When holding , Kirby's electricity field expands to cover a large area. Anything that enters will be immediately struck by lightning. This does not apply to projectiles however.||
Error creating thumbnail: limit.sh: timed out executing command "OMP_NUM_THREADS='1' '/usr/bin/convert' '-background' 'white' '/home/mediawiki/public_html/w/images/strategywiki/5/52/Kirby64AbilityAreaSpark.gif' '-coalesce' '-thumbnail' '180x129!' '-set' 'comment' 'File source: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/File:Kirby64AbilityAreaSpark.gif' '-depth' '8' '-rotate' '-0' '-fuzz' '5%' '-layers' 'optimizeTransparency' '/tmp/transform_f4d3f1d077e4-1.gif'"
Error code: 124
|Stone+Stone||Ultra Stone||Kirby simply becomes a larger version of the normal Stone form.||
Error creating thumbnail:
Error code: 139
- Bomb + Cutter: Exploding Shuriken. Kirby will throw a shuriken in a straight line with blinding speed. It will then blow up. Any enemy hit will immediately stop moving before taking damage. While throwing the shurikens, Kirby can float in the air temporarily.
- Bomb + Burn: You turn into a living firecracker, destroying enemies with your explosion. Pressing up to three times in succession will cause your explosion to get bigger and launch you higher.
- Bomb+Ice: You stick a bomb and hat on your head, then cover yourself in ice, becoming a snowman. You walk around and can jump, but not float, until either time runs out, or you run into an enemy. Then you explode destroying the enemy you hit, and freezing any others near you into ice cubes.
- Bomb+Needle: You turn into a creature sort of like a Gordo, and float around until the time runs out or you release , after which you spray your needles in all directions.
- Bomb+Spark: You turn into a lightbulb, illuminating dark places and frying any enemy you touch. After a certain amount of time passes, you explode, destroying anything near you.
- Bomb+Stone: Dynamite. Kirby plants a stick of dynamite, which explodes after a few seconds or if it touches an enemy. It will hit everything on screen. That includes Kirby. If you hit +, Kirby will pull out a hard hat, protecting himself from the blast. He must be on the ground to do this.
- Cutter+Burn: You regurgitate a flaming sword. You can press to swing the sword, or to raise the sword up in the air. If you press while you're doing this, you will throw the sword whichever way you are facing.
- Cutter+Ice: You don a pair of ice skates, skating across the ground. Press to jump and spin in the air, killing enemies, and press to quit skating.
- Cutter+Needle: Your stubby pink arms grow into massive claws topped with spikes. Hold to extend your arms and release it to bring them both up.
- Cutter+Spark: You wield a double-ended beam sword. Press to swing it around, and press to put the sword away.
- Cutter+Stone: You randomly turn into one of a variety of different statues with different abilities. The cat can jump three times. The weird blob thing with the bow can jump, but can't walk. The hamster can jump, and, if you keep holding the control stick in the direction of a wall as you're facing it, you can keep jumping up it and climb it indefinitely. The owl can slowly fly for a short period of time. The bird can fly faster than the owl, but has tendency to roll when it lands. Neither the bird nor owl can walk. The fish can change direction. It can't even move or jump, not even in water.
- Burn+Ice: You cover yourself in an ice cube, then shoot fire in both directions, which circles around, burning enemies and melting the ice cube.
- Burn+Needle: You turn into a bow with a single flaming arrow. The longer you hold , the higher your angle will be. Release to fire the arrow.
- Burn+Spark: You rub your head with a sheet of metal until it catches on fire, then charge uncontrollably for a period of time. During this time, you can change direction and jump, but you can't stop moving or float. You must hold until your head catches on fire for this power to work.
- Burn+Stone: You turn into a small volcano, spewing lava rocks upward for as long as you hold . You can hold or to shoot rock in the respective directions.
- Ice+Needle: You turn into a slowly expanding snowflake. Any enemy that touches the snowflake freezes into an ice cube.
- Ice+Spark: You turn into a living refrigerator for as long as you hold . You can shoot food, which will destroy any enemy it strikes, but will restore one health when you grab it yourself.
- Ice+Stone: You turn into something resembling a curling puck, sliding along the ground until you stop or press again. Any enemy you run into will turn into an ice cube.
- Needle+Spark: You turn into a lightning rod, electrocuting any enemy standing above you.
- Needle+Stone: Your right arm turns into a large drill for as long as you hold . Releasing causes the drill to carry on without you.
The Secret Ability
There is another ability that is only available if you collect all the Crystal Shards. Once you accomplish this, you will unlock a new level called Dark Star. It has one level, and after a short sidescrolling sequence, you'll be catapulted into the final battle with the source of the shadows. You'll automatically gain this power at the beginning of the battle, and can't get rid of it. The fairy you've been traveling with carries you and flies around, while you wield a crystal gun which shoots shards whenever you press .
Mixed Copy Abilities
- Bomb + Burn: Fireworks. By pressing B, Kirby creates a small blast of fireworks. Continuing to press B will cause larger one to appear. This ability can also be used to float through the air a bit.
- Bomb + Ice: Exploding Snowman.: Kirby puts a bucket on his head and transforms into a snowman with a short fuse. Touching enemies will give them ice damage. Pressing B will detonate the snowman whenever you want.
- Bomb + Spark: Light Bulb. Kirby turns into a lightbulb that will eventually explode. The transformation is similar to the Exploding Snowman.
- Bomb + Needle: Exploding Gordo. Kirby turns into a Gordo that can float through the air temporarily until it explodes, sending each of its spikes in a different direction.
- Stone + Stone: Large Stone. Kirby simply becomes a larger version of the normal Stone form.
- Stone + Burn: Volcano. By pressing B, Kirby becomes a turret that fires molten stone from his head.
- Stone + Cutter: Stone Friends. Each time B is pressed, Kirby will become a different stone rendition of the animal friends from Kirby's Dream Land 2 and 3. Each one has a specialty. The small bird is able to fly fast but is difficult to maneuver close to the ground. The larger bird is slower but easier on the ground. The cat and the hamster are able to climb vertical walls.
- Stone + Ice: Curling Stone. Kirby becomes a curling stone which will slide forward until hitting something. Touching an enemy will cause them to freeze.
- Stone + Spark: Electrified Boulder. Kirby produces a large boulder which is tethered to him by a string of electricity. The boulder will continue bouncing around the screen until it hits an enemy or Kirby.
(Although, Kirby won't take damage).
- Stone + Needle: Drill. Kirby turns an arm into a drill and slides across the ground, drilling through any enemies in his way. By pressing Down while using this in the air, Kirby will instead turn his legs into the drill and direct himself straight down.
- Burn + Cutter: Fire Sword. Kirby gets a fire sword. Pressing B will allow him to swing it around. Pressing Up and then B will cause him to throw the sword forward.
- Burn + Ice: Melting Ice Cube. Kirby freezes and immediately thaws to produce some hot steam.
- Burn + Spark: Static Electricity. Kirby rubs a towel on his head to produce static which then causes him to light his head on fire and run around briefly.
- Burn + Needle: Fire Arrow. Kirby turns into a bow. The amount of time B is held will determine the power and angle of the arrow's trajectory. The flame from the arrow will remain for about 1 second after it hits.
- Cutter + Ice: Ice Skates. Kirby wears a pair of ice skates and skates across the ground. When he jumps while wearing them, he will kick up some ice, which will damage or freeze enemies.
- Cutter + Spark: Light Saber. Kirby takes out a dual-bladed light saber. It is one of the faster melee weapons in the game.
- Cutter + Needle: Snare. Kirby spreads out his arms as a giant, toothed jaw. Releasing B will snare anything that happens to be above him.
- Ice + Spark: Refrigerator.Kirby transforms into a refrigerator which fires some food a short distance. Most of the food will restore a bit of Kirby's health as well.
- Ice + Needle: Snowflake. By holding B, Kirby will expand the ice around him into a net that can catch and freeze any enemies coming by.
- Spark + Needle: Lightning Rod. Kirby becomes a vertical spike which immediately calls lightning down above him.