- 1 The Basics and How to Fish
- 2 Fishing Skills
- 3 Equipment and Supplies
- 4 The Fish and Other Catches
- 5 Rewards - Skinning Your Fish
- 6 Spending the Rewards
- 7 Fishing Related Quests
The Basics and How to Fish
Fishing is easy, unless you overtrain your skills (as shown in the Fishing Skills section). You need the Fishing, Fishing Expertise, Pumping, and Reeling skills. For equipment you need a fishing rod and some bait. All of these are available from the fishing NPC, usually in the magic shop in towns and on boat docks.
You'll catch fish and treasure chests, which you double-click to turn into materials . These are used in Common Crafting, or to turn into the fishing NPC for "Proof of Catching a Fish" (referred to as "proofs" from now on) that can be used to learn skills. During night-time fishing, you can also get Colored Fish Scales which are used to trade recipes from the fisherman guild member.
Fishing will require a lot of patience, but you don't need to fish all that much to get what you need.
How to Fish
Setup a hotbar with the fishing, pumping and reeling skills. Your weapon, the fishing rod, and fishing shots can be placed in there.
- Find any water where the breath gauge shows up, stand near (not in) the water facing it.
- Equip the fishing rod and the bait.
- Hit your fishing key, and wait for the fish's HP gauge to show up.
- Reel if the HP gauge is going up.
- Pump if the HP gauge is standing still.
- Pump and Reel until you catch it, if you make mistakes the fish will heal itself.
- Repeat as desired.
You will catch fish, treasure chests, and very rarely a monster.
Night Time Fishing can be done at night (Obviously) and can only be done with Luminous Lures or NightTime Winning Fish Lures. The fish are caught and have the tag "- Upper grade" at the end of them. These fish are special in the fact that they have the ability of giving Colored Fish Scales which can in turn be traded for Recipes by the fisherman guild member.
Fishing - Active
Level 1 only, used like craft skills to activate the action.
Fishing Expertise - Passive
Level 1-26. This is the main skill in fishing. It determines what strength of fish you will be catching. It's very easy to train this higher then you can handle ( i.e. the fish are too strong for you to catch), so advance slowly.
Pumping - Active
Do not train Pumping to more then ( Fishing Expertise + 2 ), or penalties will apply.
Level 1-26. Determines how much damage you do when you pump.
Reeling - Active
Do not train Reeling to more then ( Fishing Expertise + 2 ), or penalties will apply.
Level 1-26. Determines how much damage you do when you reel.
This is a table of how much adena it costs to level Fishing Expertise, Pumping, and Reeling. For example, leveling Fishing Expertise from 4 to 5 requires 500a. The third column is the total cost to reach that level -- for example, to go from Pumping level 0 to Pumping level 8 would require 6,060a.
The Total cost for all skills is: 3,785,200a
Equipment and Supplies
Rods work like any weapon, you need to use a rod that's your grade or lower, otherwise it won't work very well at all. When you're fishing, the damage you do to the fish depends on your weapon and on your skills.
|None||Baby Duck Rod||36,000|
There are 3 colors of lures, and 3 grades of each. Since the High Grade lures catch fish faster, and are more likely to catch better fish, they are the only ones you should spend money on - they are all very very cheap anyway. Don't waste time, buy the good ones. With High Grade bait you will catch about 30% one level lower catch, 60% your level, and 10% one level above.
|Green Colored Lure - For Beginners||60||Preferred by fast moving fish|
|Green Colored Lure - Low Grade||120||Preferred by fast moving fish|
|Green Colored Lure - Medium Grade||144||Preferred by fast moving fish|
|Green Colored Lure - High Grade||180||Preferred by fast moving fish|
|Yellow Colored Lure - For Beginners||72||Preferred by ugly fish|
|Yellow Colored Lure - Low Grade||144||Preferred by ugly fish|
|Yellow Colored Lure - Medium Grade||180||Preferred by ugly fish|
|Yellow Colored Lure - High Grade||216||Preferred by ugly fish|
|Purple Colored Lure - For Beginners||84||Preferred by fat fish|
|Purple Colored Lure - Low Grade||180||Preferred by fat fish|
|Purple Colored Lure - Medium Grade||216||Preferred by fat fish|
|Purple Colored Lure - High Grade||240||Preferred by fat fish|
Like all things, NCsoft has carefully calculated things so higher cost = higher returns, so Purple are the best in the long run. But if you're after a specific kind of fish for a specific material/recipe, you can try and influence the type of fish with the color.
|Color||Ugly %||Nimble %||Fat %||Chest %||Total Tests||Ugly||Nimble||Fat||Chest|
|Yellow||41 %||9 %||50 %||- %||30||12||3||15||-|
Also, there is a chance for monsters to appear. In the test I did with green lures, I got 3 monsters in addition to the fish I posted.
Note: If you don't know how to properly add to and update these totals and percentages, please don't.
The Fish and Other Catches
Fish and chests get stronger as your expertise increases, changing color as they advance. There are some levels of fish that are MUCH stronger then the previous level, which will make them only catchable with fish shots or the next grade of fishing pole, so be aware of this. Although hard to catch, you can catch Black fish with a C grade pole and fishing shots. Each 3-level range of fish, has a color and a "Small", normal, and "Big" version of the fish and chest. You will catch one level below your expertise to one level above your expertise. This means you will need 12 inventory slots for fishing - 3 levels x 3 types of fish, plus 3 levels of chests.
|Fish Level||Fish Color||Fish Level||Fish Color|
Rarely you will catch a monster instead of fish. At fishing level 3 I caught only Caugh Undines (that drop ~35 fishing shot D-grade) and at level 9 only Caught Rakul (which drop ~12 fishing shot C-grade and can curse you so that your head will grow large).
Detailed per-fish info
That's the general overview, for the (obscenely detailed) details about the fish and what people have had them give in rewards, go to the Exact details about fish page. For the most part you should not worry about the details - you will be catching the fish low enough in level that you can easily kill them, and really only interested in gathering as many proofs as possible.
Rewards - Skinning Your Fish
Once you have as many fish as you can carry, you double-click them to see what you get. You may fail (about 50% of the time), or you may get materials, common crafting recipes, or "fish guts" that you can trade in to the fishing NPC for proofs.
The fish guts can also be used in many common crafting recipes, so you may not want to turn them into Proofs at all.
|Part of the fish||How many proofs it's worth|
|Fish Oil||1, use common crafting to turn 4 Fish Oils => 1 Greater Fish Oil|
|Greater Fish Oil||5, use common crafting to turn 4 Greater Fish Oils => 1 Premium Fish Oil|
|Premium Fish Oil||25|
|Shiny Fish Scale||6|
|Shiny Fish Gem||20|
|Thin Fish Bone||6|
|Thick Fish Bone||9|
Spending the Rewards
You buy new abilities with your Proof of Catching a Fish. Normally you can train one level of the skill for every 10 levels of your character, plus one. So you can train Expand Inventory level 3 at level 20.
Expand Trade can only be trained to level 3, at levels 40, 55, and 65. Expand Dwarven Craft can only be learned by dwarves, at the normal skill trainer.
In most cases, Expand Warehouse, Expand Dwarven Craft, and Expand Trade are the only 3 skill 99% of players will need to be interested in, as the weight limits inventory, and there are not many common crafting recipes.
|Expand Common Craft
|Expand Dwarven Craft
|1||4,000||4,000||2,000||2,000||10,000 (at level 40)|
|2||8,000||8,000||4,000||4,000||20,000 (at level 55)|
|3||20,000||20,000||6,000||6,000||40,000 (at level 65)|
Fishing Related Quests
There is a fishing shot quest given by all the fishermen (or at least the one in aden)... its very useful because it gives free fishing shots for just hunting mobs all over the world.
Before attempting any of the Special Bait quests (there are 4 of them), suspend your sweet fluid quest because it will make the quest item drop rate horrific.
Lanosco's Special Bait Level 27-29 (written by HellWitch - Hindemith)
1. Go to the Grocery Store in Dion. Talk with Fisher
2. He tells you to bring him 100 essences of wind. Hunt Singing Winds (none of the other winds there seems to drop it) in the Windy Hill (near the Dusk Oracle) until you get 100 quest items..
3. Return to Lanosco in Dion. He gives you 4 Wind Fishing Lures as a reward and you can start Chest Caught with the Bait of Wind quest.
Chest Caught With a Bait of Wind Level 27-29 (written by HellWitch - Hindemith)
1. Lanosco says he's looking for a large blue treasure
box. He also tells you that your fishing experience has to be
excactly lvl 9.
2. Someone said best results on this quest is by fishing near Gludio, so I went near Gludio (exit for Looting Area of Evil Spirits) and started fishing there, under the bridge. I got 2 big blue treasure chests, 1 blue treasure chest and 1 small blue treasure chest (I think if u don't miss a single shot on the fish u only get big blue ones, but I'm not gonna do the quest again to confirm it lol). Since I had 25 lures on me (purple high grade), I did some more fishing to waste them, and got 1 more big blue treasure chest, and one regular blue treasure chest. So apparently you can get the quest item without using the special lure, although you can't start the quest if you don't have the special lure.
3. After giving him 1 big blue treasure chest, he will give you a strange golem blueprint which you have to deliver to blueprint seller Shaling in Dion. The Reward is a Black Pearl Ring (d grade)
O'Fulle's Special Bait Level 36-38 (written by HellWitch - Hindemith)
1. Go to the Grocery Store in Giran. Talk with Fisher
2. He tells you to bring him (what a surprise) 100 quest items. Hunt Fettered Souls in Death Pass until you get 100 items.
3. Return to O'Fulle in Giran. He gives you 4 Icy Fishing Lures as a reward and you can start Chest Caught with the Bait of Icy Air quest.
Chest Caught With a Bait of Icy Air Level 36-38 (written by HellWitch - Hindemith)
1. O'Fulle says he's looking for a large yellow treasure
box. He also tells you that your fishing experience has to be
excactly lvl 12 for best results.
2. I just went fishing on the northern bridge in Giran and I got 2 yellow treasure chests and 1 big yellow treasure chest.
3. After giving him 1 big yellow treasure chest, he will give you a Kiki's Letter which you have to deliver to Mineral Trader Kiki in Giran. The Reward is an Elven Ring (D grade)
Quest for Bait of Earth Level 48 (written by Licantrop - Teon)
1. Go to the Grocery Store in Oren. Talk with Fisher
2. He tells you to hunt Tarlk Basilisk in the Forest of Outlaws and bring him 100 Quest items "Eye of the Basilisk. (Tarlk Basilisk Level 50 passiv, Elder Tarlk Basilisk Level 51 agro)
3. Hunt the Tarlk Basilisk until you have 100 items and return to Willie. I would recommend to suspend the sweet fluid quest whilst getting this quest items, as it slows down the drop rate a lot.
4. He gives you 4 Bait of the Earth as a reward and you can start the follow-up quest now.
Quest: Chest caught with Bait of Earth Level 48 (written by Licantrop - Teon)
1. Willie tells you to fish for a small purple treasure
chest and to bring it to him unopened. He also tells you that your
fishing experience has to be excactly lvl 16.
2. Go fishing and bring the small purple treasure chest to him (i got 2 orange chests and 2 purple ones with this bait).
3. He gives you a Quest item in return which you have to deliver to Anabel in Heine. She gives you Plated Leather Gloves as a reward.