Mega Man Zero 2/Forms
Zero gains "Forms" that alter his abilities by performing certain tasks while on a mission. You can only get one Form per mission, the only exceptions being the Proto and Ultimate Forms. Zero's color scheme changes to indicate his current Form.
|Normal||2||2||2||6||None||Zero's default, unspecialized Form|
|Active||2||2||4||8||Kill enemies with
dashing Z-Saber slash
Spinning Slashes and Rolling Slashes
|Energy||3||2||1||6||Collect large E-Crystals||Energy capsules appear more often|
|Defense||1||4||2||7||Kill enemies with
charged Shield Boomerang
|Shield Boomerang strength upgrade; Zero's defense stat maxed out|
|Rise||2||2||3||7||Kill enemies with
mid-air Z-Saber slash
upwards third slash
|Proto||4||1||2||7||Beat the game||Defaulted to this Form in Hard Mode:
Attack pwr. max, weapons impaired
|X||3||2||3||8||Kill enemies with
stronger and more bullets at a time
with the Chain Rod
stronger but slower
|Erase||2||3||2||7||Reflect shots back at enemies with the Shield Boomerang||Z-Saber and Shield Boomerang upgrade: erase enemy bullets|
|Ultimate||3||3||3||9||Find and use every Cyber Elf||Perform charged attacks by using button combinations|
 Normal Form
Zero's Basic Form is the default Form that you begin the game with. It has no unique abilities of its own. The stats for this Form are all balanced, though not very helpful in the long run.
 X Form
X Form pays tribute to Mega Man X, who relied on his Buster to defeat his enemies, unlike Zero's trademark Z-Saber. It amplifies your Buster's power, but hinders your Z-Saber skills. This reflects X's preference for Buster-type weapons, as he wasn't as adept at using swords.
How to obtain: Kill 50 enemies with the Buster Shot Gun in one mission.
- Where to obtain: Since three of the first four EX Skill that can be obtained use the Buster Shot, it can be useful to get this form in the very first mission, i.e. Poler Kamrous' stage.
- Effects: With this Form, the Buster Shot can have four bullets on screen at a time instead of the normal three, and their damage potential is increased. However, at the cost of boosting his Buster power, Zero's Z-Saber skills are affected; he can only perform the second slash of his triple-slash combo.
- Where to use: Use it anytime you need the Buster Shot against enemies that attack you from a distance and don't necessarily die quickly. The Gazamir sub-boss, Pantheon Hammers, and Signaloids are particular offenders. It is also useful against the Toitank brigade in the Power Room when you try to obtain Cyber-Elf Dable. The rapid streams of bullets are crucial to keep up with the attacking waves, and eventually, destroy the elusive U4 after the Toitanks are exterminated to get the Cyber-Elf.
 Rise Form
When Zero becomes used to directing his attacks upward, he masters a new slashing move that triggers the activation of Rise Form.
How to obtain: Kill 20 enemies with a midair Saber slash in one mission.
- Where to obtain: Panter Flauclaws' stage is ideal to obtain this Form, because the sub-boss pack of Carryarms descends from above and requires lots of jumping slashes to kill them off.
- Effects: This Form changes the third slash of Zero's triple-slash combo from an overhanded slice into an upward swing, which is slightly more effective at doing damage, and has a bonus speed stat that allows him to move slightly faster.
- Where to use: This is probably the earliest Form you can get that enhances the Z-Saber. If it is awakened first, switch to it for the sake of the enhancement and the speed boost to the stats pool. The unique upward slash also has an advantage against aerial foes that would dive down to attack you.
 Erase Form
Erase Form gives Zero the ability to neutralize plasma bullets on contact. It is a defense-oriented Form that falls short in melee combat, but it can be a crutch in hairy situations where belligerent Mechaniloids spray everything in their vicinity with gunfire.
How to obtain: Reflect 30 shots back at enemies with the Shield Boomerang in one mission.
- Where to obtain: If you use the Shield Boomerang to destroy the power reactors in Phoenix Magnion's stage, you'll fulfill the requirement more than three times. If not here, you are almost guaranteed to unlock this Form on the Bombardment Aircraft stage when you have to shield Ciel from the Pluggers. They shoot a maddening supply of plasma bullets that you must deflect with the Shield Boomerang to defend her.
- Effects: This Form enables Zero's Z-Saber to destroy enemy plasma shots or cancel out bullets when they make contact with an uncharged Shield Boomerang. However, he can only perform the second slash of his triple-slash combo.
- Where to use: This Form is very helpful against any Mechaniloid that fires plasma bullets, because if you get surrounded by bullets, you have a way to mitigate the danger of getting hit. It's especially useful to obtain the Defense Form, the other Form related to the Shield Boomerang, because enemy bullets will not be reflected back and you'll have to use the charged Shield Boomerang to defeat the enemies; a good location where to use it is Kuwagust Anchortus' stage.
 Power Form
Power Form is a risky gambit for those who are headstrong and blindly rush their enemies. It makes Zero's attack power violently strong, but recklessly abandons evasiveness. It's a time-saver against foes with bulky health bars and is most favorable for direct combat, though at the risk of getting annihilated by one wrong move into the path of danger.
How to obtain: Pull 30 things with the Chain Rod in one mission.
- Where to obtain: The best place where to get it is Hyleg Ourobockle's stage; there are Pantheon Hammers with shields you can pull away, enemies you can pull onto spikes, and large blocks you need to pull. So there are lots of opportunities to use the Chain Rod.
- Effects: This Form greatly increases Zero's attack power, but makes him move slower, and he can only perform the third slash of his triple-slash combo.
- Where to use: This Form is good to use against some sub-bosses and bosses, especially non-elemental ones that don't die quickly. It's also helpful when you need to use dashing slashes to obtain the Active Form; because it does heavy damage, enemies that would normally withstand a hit from a dashing slash will be destroyed on one strike instead of multiple hits.
 Energy Form
The Energy Form, much like Erase Form, is better inclined for support. If you keep getting badly wounded in missions, you can count on this Form to rescue yourself from total oblivion by using its power to heal yourself dramatically and restock your Sub Tanks in a bad fix. Although Energy Form knocks your speed down a peg, the boost to your attack is a nice advantage that comes with it.
How to obtain: Collect 25 large E-Crystal capsules in one mission.
- Where to obtain: A good opportunity to get it is in the Residential Area mission, where there is a high probability of getting energy crystals; moreover, the use of a type "Ite-" hacker cyber-elf makes the task easier. Another excellent chance to get the Form is in [../Crystal Cave: Sage Harpuia|Crystal Cave]], where hidden E-Crystals are scattered in much greater numbers than usual, and you can mine them from the Hottalooks by killing the firefly Mechaniloids they release as you attack them.
- Effects: This Form makes energy capsules appear more often. It also alters his triple-slash combo so that he performs the second slash twice, then the first slash, and he can only fire two bullets from his buster at a time.
- Where to use: Use it whenever Zero has low HP, to replenish his health.
 Defense Form
Zero's defensive potential is maximized when Defense Form is activated, but to use more energy to boost his guard, his body powers down his attacks to a minimum level to avoid straining him.
How to obtain: Kill 20 enemies with the charged Shield Boomerang in one mission.
- Where to obtain: A good location is Kuwagust Anchortus' stage, if you already obtained the Erase Form.
- Effects: This Form raises Zero's defense and the power of his Shield Boomerang, but lowers his attack power.
- Where to use: Use it whenever you need to limit the damage dealt to Zero; it can be better than the Energy Form because limiting the damage suffered improves the score at the end of the level.
 Active Form
Zero's speed, agility, and reflexes peak when Active Form is being used. He moves so quickly that he can use his momentum to somersault through the air as he attacks with his Z-Saber or tuck and roll down a corridor while cutting apart everything he hits in a wheeling blur of destruction.
How to obtain: Kill 20 enemies with a dashing Saber slash in one mission.
- Where to obtain: In the first mission after you obtained the Senagtotsu (the Thunder-Element stab attack performed mid-dash) in Kuwagust Anchortus' stage. Sengatotsu slices up anything in your way with little concern about it surviving beyond one hit.
- Effects: This Form allows Zero to perform a spinning Saber slash while in the air or a Rolling Slash when dashing, and maximizes his speed. Basically, Active Form gives you access to the two attacks from the first Zero series without needing to level up two more times. However, enabling Sengatotsu disables the dashing rolling slash, and Zero can only perform the first slash of his triple-slash combo when Active Form is used.
- Where to use: Thanks to its speed upgrade and the new, very helpful attacks it adds to Zero's moveset, this is probably one of the best Forms you can have, to be used as much as possible.
 Proto Form
Proto Form is a hidden, instinctive function in Zero's body that activates when he needs more power. True to its name, it is a prototype version of Zero's Basic Form that doesn't balance his energy reserves properly. Instead, it chews up all the energy in his body to power up his weaponry. His weapons do extreme amounts of damage, but Proto Form uses up so much energy, there isn't enough on tap for Zero to charge some weapons or even use activate his hidden system that captures and harnesses EX Skills.
How to obtain: Beat the game and save, and/or play on Hard Mode afterward.
- Where to obtain: At the end of the game.
- Effects: This Form greatly increases Zero's attack power, but he can only perform the first slash of his triple-slash combo, his defense is lowered, and none of his weapons except the Shield Boomerang can be charged. Zero receives it automatically and is locked into using this Form when entering the first mission of Hard Mode.
- Where to use: Proto Form's costs outweigh its benefits. It is generally not a good choice for anything beyond a self-imposed challenge. Like it or not, you have to use it in Hard Mode with no choice of switching between any other Forms.
 Ultimate Form
When Zero is infused with the powers of an Cyber-Elf army, it awakens his greatest power, the Ultimate Form. Zero body teems with surplus energy from all the Cyber-Elves he used. He may channel the extra energy into his weapons, raising them to maximum power immediately. However, bypassing the weapons' charge cycle is dangerous, and the energy transfer must be precise to prevent Zero from tearing apart himself or his weaponry. Luckily, Zero's internal systems have cataloged special program commands to funnel the energy spikes correctly.
How to obtain: Find, raise, and use every Cyber-Elf in the game.
- Where to obtain: The earliest point where you can obtain it in a single game is at the end of the last mission; the requirement to get this Form (use all Cyber-Elves, thus lowering your score to rock bottom) is in complete contrast with the requirement to obtain the EX Skills (get a high score); anyway, all the cyber-elves can be used in the last five missions, i.e. starting from Neo Arcadia Temple, taking care to use first the "bee"-type and "stick"-type animal cyber-elves. The Hacker Elves that change your rank to A are troublemakers: they can't be used if your rank is already fixed at A. You must complete more missions to make it rise or fall again, and therefore, enable them to be used again. If you run out of enough missions to use these particular Cyber-Elves, you will be conscripted to beat the game and cycle back through the missions by choosing to start a new game on a save file that has been cleared once.
- Effects: This Form allows you to perform charged attacks without charging by using Street Fighter-like button combinations. It has an equal amount of abilities, but has better stats than the Basic Form, and causes no weapon restrictions.
- Buster Level 1: + Buster
- Buster Level 2: + Buster
- Saber: + Saber
- Chain Rod: + Chain Rod
- Shield Boomerang: + Shield Boomerang
- Where to use: Once you get it, it would be worth to start a new game and play through it using this Form alone; it would be an easy game. You can also damage bosses much faster by cutting to the chase with the charged attacks rather than taking time to charge them up.