Metal Gear (NES)/Getting Started
- : Use the direction pad on a controller to direct Snake throughout your mission. He can move in any of the four cardinal directions, although you cannot instruct him to move diagonally. Use these inputs to direct the cursor on menu screens as well.
- : Press the B button to make Snake punch. It can also be used to advance the dialog.
- : Press the A button to instruct Snake to fire the currently active weapon. Also press this button to utilize an item in your inventory such as rations.
- : Press the Start key to pause and unpause the game.
- : Press the Select key to summon the menu where you can choose to view your weapon selection, your inventory, or use the transceiver. While on the transceiver screen, press left or right to change the communication frequency, and press up to attempt communication on the current frequency.
 Solid Snake
At the start of this game, Solid Snake is a rookie recruit of the elite special-forces unit FOXHOUND. Snake is sent by team leader Big Boss into the rogue nation Outer Heaven to rescue his missing teammate Gray Fox and discover who or what "Metal Gear" is. You control Snake throughout the game.
Snake can move in any one of four directions and he can throw punches. He can use one of seven different weapons throughout the game, provided he locates them and has enough ammunition to use them if they are firearms. Firearms are shot in the direction that he is currently facing.
Snake has a life meter which is shown at the bottom of the screen. The life meter decreases whenever he takes damage by touching an enemy, or getting hit by an enemy's bullets. At any point in the game, Snake can use a ration to restore lost energy if he has any in his inventory.
If the life meter becomes empty, Snake will die and the game will be over. At this point, the player may choose to continue. The game will continue from a particular location based on Snake's current rank. For example, if his rank is only one star, he will always start back at the jungle entrance.
Snake's class rank is displayed below his life meter. Snake's class will rise when he successfully rescues five prisoners, up to a maximum of four stars. When Snake's class increases, he is able to hold more weapons, ammunition, and rations. See the chart below for more information. Snake will lose a class rank if any captive comes to harm.
In addition to his life meter and class, the current weapon and item that Snake is utilizing is shown in the lower portion of the screen. To change Snake's weapon, or to change the item that Snake is currently using, press the Select button and choose the correct sub-screeb. Snake can only use one item and weapon at a time.
 Class capacity chart
|Rank||Handgun||Sub Machine Gun||Grenade Launcher||Rocket Launcher||RC Missiles||Plastic Explosive||Mines||Rations|