Pokémon Puzzle League/Characters
From StrategyWiki, the video game walkthrough and strategy guide wiki
 Playable characters
- Ash Ketchum - The main protagonist of the game, and the only character playable in single player. His Pokémon are Pikachu, Squirtle and Bulbasaur and his theme is To Be A Master.
- Gary Oak - Ash's rival, and Professor Oak's grandson. His Pokémon are Nidoran Female, Growlithe and Krabby and his theme is Pokemon World.
- Brock - One of Ash's traveling partners, and Pewter City's Gym Leader, specializing in Rock-type Pokémon. His Pokémon are Geodude, Vulpix and Zubat and his theme is Viridian City.
- Misty - One of Ash's traveling partners, and Cerulean City's Gym Leader, specializing in Water-type Pokémon. Her Pokémon are Horsea, Psyduck, and Staryu and her theme is Catch Me If You Can.
- Lt. Surge - Vermilion City's Gym Leader, specializing in Electric-type Pokémon. His Pokémon are Raichu, Jolteon and Magneton and his theme is Lt. Surge's Theme.
- Erika - Celadon City's Gym Leader, specializing in Grass-type Pokémon. Her Pokémon are Tangela, Weepinbell, and Gloom and her theme is What Kind of Pokemon Are You?.
- Koga - Fuchsia City's Gym Leader, specializing in Poison-type Pokémon. His Pokémon are Venomoth, Voltorb, and Golbat and his theme is Koga's Theme.
- Sabrina - Saffron City's Gym Leader, specializing in Psychic-type Pokémon. Her Pokémon are Abra, Hypno, and Alakazam and her theme is Everything Changes.
- Blaine - Cinnabar Island's Gym Leader, specializing in Fire-type Pokémon. His Pokémon are Arcanine, Charmeleon, and Magmar and his theme is My Best Friends.
- Tracey Sketchit - Traveled with Ash and Misty through the Orange Islands after Brock chose to stay behind. His Pokémon are Marill, Venonat, and Scyther and his theme is Tracey's Theme.
- Team Rocket (Jessie, James, and Meowth) - A trio of Pokémon thieves who constantly follow Ash and co. around with the intent of stealing his Pikachu. Their Pokémon are Weezing, Arbok, and Golbat (Victreebel in Pokemon Puzzle League 2) and their theme is Double Trouble.
- Giovanni (unlockable) - The boss of Team Rocket, and Viridian City's Gym Leader, specializing in Ground-type Pokémon. His Pokémon are Persian, Sandslash and Nidoking and his theme is Giovanni's Theme.
- Ritchie (unlockable) - The trainer whom Ash lost to in the Indigo League tournament. His Pokémon are "Sparky" (Pikachu), "Zippo" (Charmander), and "Happy" (Butterfree) and his theme is Together Forever.
- Lorelei (unlockable) - A member of the Indigo League's Elite Four, who specializes in Ice-type Pokémon. Her Pokémon are Cloyster, Poliwhirl and Dewgong and her theme is Pokemon Dance Mix.
- Bruno (unlockable) - A member of the Indigo League's Elite Four, who specializes in Fighting-type Pokémon. His Pokémon are Onix, Hitmonchan, and Primeape and his theme is Bruno's Theme.
- Mewtwo (unlockable via button code; can only be controlled by Player 2) - A Pokémon created by Team Rocket by cloning a Mew. Its' Pokémon are clones of Pikachu, Squirtle and Bulbasaur and his theme is Mewtwo's Theme.
 Characters Appearing In Pokemon Puzzle League 2
- Cissy - Mikan Island's Gym Leader and the first member of The Orange Crew. Her Pokemon are Seadra, Vaporeon and Blastoise and her theme is Spa Service Round 3.
- Danny - Navel Island's Gym Leader and the second member of The Orange Crew. His Pokemon are Nidoqueen, Machoke and Electrode and his theme is Coming To The Rescue.
- Rudy - Trovita Island's Gym Leader and the third member of The Orange Crew. His Pokemon are Electabuzz, Exeggutor and Starmie and his theme is Don't Say You Love Me.
- Luana - Kumquat Island's Gym Leader and the fourth member of The Orange Crew. Her Pokemon are Marowak, Flareon and Rhydon and her theme is The Time Has Come.
- Falkner - Violet City's Gym Leader who specializes in Flying-type Pokemon. His Pokemon are HootHoot, Dodrio and Pidgeot and his theme is Pokemon Johto.
- Bugsy - Azalea Town's Gym Leader who specializes in Bug-type Pokemon. His Pokemon are Spinarak, Metapod and Beedrill and his theme is All We Wanna Do.
- Whitney - Goldenrod City's Gym Leader who specializes in Normal-type Pokemon. Her Pokemon are Clefairy, Nidorina and Miltank and her theme is Two Perfect Girls.
- Morty - Ecruteak City's Gym Leader who specializes in Ghost-type Pokemon. His Pokemon are Gastly, Haunter and Gengar and his theme is Born To Be A Winner.
- Chuck - Cianwood City's Gym Leader who, like Bruno, specializes in Fighting-type Pokemon. His Pokemon are Poliwrath, Hitmonlee and Machamp and his theme is You and Me and Pokemon.
- Jasmine - Olivine City's Gym Leader who specializes in Steel-type Pokemon. Her Pokemon are Ampharos, Magnemite and Steelix and her theme is Pikachu, I Choose You.
- Pryce - Mahogany Town's Gym Leader who, like Lorelei, specializes in Ice-type Pokemon. His Pokemon are Piloswine, Shellder and Seaking and his theme is The Song of Jigglypuff.
- Clair - Blackthorn City's Gym Leader who specializes in Dragon-type Pokemon. Her Pokemon are Kingdra, Gyarados and Dragonair and her theme is Believe In Me.
- Damian - The first boss of the game and a trainer who abandoned Ash's Charmander. His Pokemon are Machop, Rhyhorn and Drowzee and his theme is Do You Really Wanna Play?
- Alex Davis - The second boss and a trainer that Gary battled. His Pokemon are Hitmontop, Slowbro and Skarmory and his theme is The Biggest Part of My Life.
- Koji - The third boss and a trainer who tries to catch Ash's Cyndaquil. His Pokemon are Graveler, Granbull and Fearow and his theme is He Drives Me Crazy.
- Ken - The final boss and a trainer who he and Mary are members of The Pokemon Mystery Club. His Pokemon are Sneasel, Houndoom and Tyranitar and his theme is The Game.
- Professor Samuel Oak - The leading authority of Pokémon research. He serves as the tutor for teaching you basic gameplay and techniques at his lab.
- Gary Oak with evolved Pokémon - As the final stage before battling Mewtwo, Gary battles you a second time.
- Cassidy and Butch - Rivals of Jessie and James, respectively, who work for Team Rocket. The two of them battle you in the Spa Service as a bonus challenge.
- Nurse Joy - A Pokémon nurse who has identical-looking female relatives (all are nurses with same name). She is seen at the Pokémon Center to modify the game settings.
- Officer Jenny - A policewoman who has identical-looking female relatives (all are all policewomen with same name). She is seen at the Pokémon Center to modify the game settings.
- Delia Ketchum - Ash's loving mother. She can be seen and heard in cutscenes after clearing the 1P Stadium at any difficulty level.
- Jigglypuff - A Pokémon with a desire to sing. It is seen or heard at all the modes except 1P Stadium and 2P Stadium.
- Togepi - Misty's Pokémon. It can be seen and heard when playing Super Easy Mode in the Mimic Mansion, Time Zone, Marathon, and in cutscenes after clearing the 1P Stadium at any difficulty level.