Shadow of the Colossus/Controls
From StrategyWiki, the video game walkthrough and strategy guide wiki
- : Move Wander (that's your character's name!); aim with bow (when equipped)
- : Call Agro; whistle to get Colossi's attention (hold to center camera on colossi, unless Agro is nearby, in which case hold L1 and press X to whistle)
- : Swing sword (sword drawn or sheathed); fire arrow (with bow drawn--Note--collision detection in this game is very impressive--try pinning a lizard down by it's tail)
- : Jump. Hold to jump higher/further. Jump then press to swing sword mid-air. Jump, press and hold R1 then press to stab downwards (this also works while falling from height).
- Hold near Agro to mount. Jump near Agro, then hold R1 to mount from jump.
- Tap repeatedly to get up faster after being knocked unconscious (in about 1/3 of the time otherwise). This is near essential to avoiding frustration when fighting the faster, more responsive colossi (read, IX and XIV).
- : Focus light (with sword drawn) to point the way (and to locate colossus vitals); pick up item (lizard tail, fruit, etc.); kneel at shrines (to save and replenish health), colossi statues (to challenge time attack mode after completing the game), and fallen colossi (returning to fallen colossi and kneeling at their 'mounds' allows Wander to enter Reminiscence Mode).
- : Hold to crouch; hold R1 from a jump (or a fall) to grab ledges, colossus 'fur', etc. Note that grip strength is measured by the pink circle in the bottom right corner; as this shrinks, Wander's grip weakens until he eventually falls/lets go (this meter can be increased by defeating colossi and by collecting the white tails from certain lizards scattered throughout the land).
- Pressing the control stick while crouching causes Wander to creep.
- Pressing Triangle while crouching causes to Wander to dive forward into a roll; while holding onto a ledge/colossus, hold Triangle to charge jump, then release to jump upwards (pull back or left or right on the control stick before releasing Triangle to direct Wander's Jump, regardless of camera position)
- Pressing Square while crouching or holding on to a colossus charges a sword attack (watch the grip meter/pink circle, which also doubles as a stamina/strength gauge). Press again to stab downwards with force.
- Wander recovers health more quickly while crouching.
- : Cycle weapons left.
- : Cycle weapons right.
- : Draw sword.
- : Stow weapons.
- : Pull reins left/right to steer Agro left/right (regardless of camera position); pull back to slow him down. Simultaneously pull back and press X from rest to make Agro rear-up and gallop away, or while galloping to come to an abrupt stop.
- : Tap to make Agro 'go'. Successive taps make him go faster. Hold to sustain top speed.
- : Hold to focus light (with sword drawn); fire arrow (with bow drawn).
- : Jump from/dismount Agro.
- : Focus light (with sword drawn); pat Agro (while stationary, with weapons stowed).
- : Hold to 'go prone' atop Agro; hold and push up on left control stick to stand atop Agro (arrows can be fired from this standing position); hold, then hold Triangle and press left or right on the left control stick to hang from Agro's side (let go to fall from Agro, or press Triangle again while still holding R1 to remount).
- Just for fun - try standing atop Agro while stationary; wait until one of the large brown birds that occasionally accompanies overhead flies by, then press triangle while continuing to hold R1 to jump and grab hold (if timed correctly...)
- : Free camera control (also works during intro, start menu, Agro/hawk screensaver, and cutscenes)
- : Hold for camera zoom.
- : Hold to center on colossi. Hold to look around in 'overworld' (i.e. while searching for colossi).
- : Reset camera behind Wander.
- : Hold to center camera on Agro (or colossi).
- : Pause/resume during play; brings up overworld map and options menu.
- : Scroll world map.
- : Zoom in/out world map.
- : Confirm menu selection.
- : Cancel/go back.
- : Select menu options.
- : Hold while making START MENU selection for brown Agro (after completing the game once).
- : Hold while making START MENU selection for white Agro (after completing the game in HARD MODE).