|Super Mario Advance|
|System(s)||Game Boy Advance, Wii U|
|Followed by||Super Mario Advance 2|
|Neoseeker Related Pages|
In 2001, Super Mario Bros. 2 received another enhanced remake as part of Super Mario Advance (also containing a remake of Mario Bros). Super Mario Advance was developed by Nintendo R&D2, and represented the first Mario title for the Game Boy Advance.
The Super Mario Advance version of SMB2 includes several new features:
- Multiplayer mode available when two Game Boy Advances are connected with a link cable.
- The addition of the new enemy, Robirdo (a robotic Birdo acting as the boss of world three).
- The addition of the Yoshi's Challenge (in which players may revisit stages to search for Yoshi eggs).
- An an all-new point-scoring system (a first for the game).
- Graphical and audio enhancements were added in the form of enlarged sprites, multiple hit combos, digital voice acting, and such minor stylistic and aesthetic changes as an altered default health-meter level, boss-order, backgrounds, the size of hearts, Princess Toadstool being renamed to the now-standard "Princess Peach," and the inclusion of a chime to announce starmen, were also added.
The game also includes a full version of the original Mario Bros. arcade game from 1983, with updated audiovisuals and Mushroom Kingdom-based enemies replacing the generic creatures of the original (Spinys taking the place of Shellcreepers, for example); this game would be included in all three subsequent Super Mario Advance titles, including Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.
Super Mario Advance was a best-selling launch game, and became part of the GBA's Player's Choice lineup as one of the console's first three Player's Choice games (along with Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Super Mario Advance 3).
Refer to the New features page for differences between the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo, and Game Boy Advance version.
Table of Contents
5th Generation (N64): Super Mario 64
4th Gen. (GB): Super Mario Land · SML2: 6 Golden Coins
5th Gen. (GBC): Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
6th Gen. (GBA): Super Mario Advance · 2 · 3 · 4 · Mario Pinball Land
7th Gen. (DS): Super Mario 64 DS · Super Princess Peach
8th Gen. (3DS): Super Mario 3D Land · Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Sub-series: Dr. Mario · Mario Party · Mario RPG · New Super Mario Bros. · Wario · Yoshi
Mario sports: Mario Sports · Mario Golf · Mario Kart · Mario Tennis · Super Mario Strikers · Mario Baseball · Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games