Super Mario Galaxy 2/Controls
From StrategyWiki, the video game walkthrough and strategy guide wiki
 Basic Controls
- : Move: Tilt a little to walk and a lot to run.
- Jump: You can jump in many different ways, depending on how you combine the jump with other actions. Try and find the best jump for every situation.
- Confirm menu selections
- Talk to people
- Activate Pull Stars
- Grab poles
- Fire cannons
- Shoot Star Bits
- Cancel menu selections
- Shake or :
- As you progress in the game, you will learn how to spin. Shake or to spin and destroy obstacles or stun enemies. You may also need to spin to activate certain kinds of objects, so try spinning in different places to see what happens.
- Climb vines
- Activate Launch Stars
- Grab and throw objects
- Skate on ice
- Use special abilities when transformed
- Dive in water
- Drop out of bubbles
- : Move camera
- : Center camera behind Mario
- , : Pause
 Advanced Techniques
- Defeat enemies: You can defeat most enemies by stomping on them with a jump, stunning them with a spin, or shooting them with a Star Bit and then running into them. However, there are some that you can't defeat in these ways. You may need to spin to return an enemy's attacks or an item or mechanism to defeat some enemies.
- Triple Jump: After jumping while you run, press right as you land for three consecutive jumps. On your third jump, you may be able to pull off an especially high jump.
- Spin Jump: Spin in Midair to perform a spin jump. Jumping and then spinning at the peak of your jump allows you to go higher than in a normal jump.
- Backflip: Hold and press to jump backwards. You will leap high into the sky and slightly backward.
- Long Jump: While running, hold and press to jump across long distances.
- Side Somersault: While running, tilt in the opposite direction and press to perform a high jump with a turn.
- Wall Jump: Face a wall and jump toward it, then continue to jump off the wall with good timing by pressing to kick off the wall. In areas where two walls face each other with a small gap, you can use this method to climb to the top.
- Ground Pound: Press in midair. Mario plummets straight down with great force. This can be used to break things, attack enemies, or activate certain switches.
- Homing Stomp: Perform the Spin Jump, and press while spinning. A variation of the Ground Pound that homes in on the nearest enemy, ground pound switch, or springboard, if one is in range.
- Mount: Jump on Yoshi's back or spin next to him to mount him. You can then ride on him.
- Flutter Jump: Jump and press in midair to perform Yoshi's Flutter Jump, allowing you to gain some extra height and distance.
- Eat: Point at certain things with and press when Yoshi is close enough. Yoshi will shoot his tongue out at the target. Depending on what it is, this can have different effects. Usually he'll eat it. For certain things, Yoshi holds the object in his mouth, at which point you can point with and press to spit it out at something else. For some objects that are attached to the ground, Yoshi's tongue latches on to it, and then you can pull back on to pull on it. Yoshi can also swing from some objects.
- Head Shake: Shake or to make Yoshi hit things with his head. This usually has the same effect as Mario's Spin attack.
- Dismount: Press + to jump off Yoshi's back.