Spoiler warning! This section of the article contains spoilers, or hints about the game's storyline or progression.
You might want to skip down to the next heading if you do not want facts about the game's storyline or plot revealed to you.
 Overall Items
- Energy Tank: Each Energy Tank increases your maximum energy capacity by 100. Energy can be refilled at your ship, Energy Stations, and enemies may leave refills for 5 points or 20 points.
- Reserve Tank: Stores leftover energy when picked up at full health. Refills Samus's energy tanks when she is brought down to zero on auto or selected in the Samus Screen on manual. Starts out empty, can't be refilled at normal energy stations.
By defeating enemies, there's a chance that a power-up will appear to replenish any missing ammo or health. There are two types of health power-ups: small (5 energy) and large (20 energy). Ammo comes in the form of missiles (2 per power-up), super missiles (1 per power-up), and power bombs (1 per power-up).
- Hi-Jump Boots: These are acquired in Norfair. They will increase Samus’s jump height to twice as high as previously.
- Varia Suit: Obtained after defeating Kraid. The Varia Suit cuts damage to Samus in half and allows her to survive heated rooms.
- Grapple Beam: Acquired after defeating Crocomire in Norfair. Shoots an electrical beam that lets Samus swing from grapple points.
- Gravity Suit: Obtained after defeating Phantoon. The Gravity Suit allows Samus to move normally through liquids (magma and water).
- Space Jump: Obtained after defeating Draygon in Maridia. Allows Samus to continually somersault in midair.
- Screw Attack: Obtained after defeating the Golden Torizo. Allows Samus to do a invincible spin attack upon somersaulting.
- Missiles: Each pack of Missiles you acquire will increase your total by 5, for a maximum of 230. Shooting 5 of them at a red door will open it, and they work much better than most of your early beams to kill enemies with. Missiles can be refilled at your ship, Missile Stations, or refills can be acquired by defeating enemies. Enemy-dropped refills are worth 2 missiles each.
- Super Missile: The Super Missile is acquired after defeating Spore Spawn. It has a much higher damage output than regular Missiles, and travels faster. Each Super Missile pack will increase your total by 5, up to a maximum of 50. Super Missiles can open Green Doors, Green Gates, and can destroy Super Missile Blocks.
 Beam Related
- Charge Beam: This weapon allows you to charge your regular beam. A charged shot will damage bosses, which normal shots won’t, and requires no energy or ammunition. Can be used in combination with the morph ball for a five-bomb drop.
- Spazer: The Spazer splits the regular beam into three blasts, and it greatly increases both the power and accuracy of your beams. Can not combine with the plasma beam.
- Wave: Causes shots to fire in a wave-like motion and pass through walls. Using this in combination with other beams will give them this ability as well.
- Ice Beam: Causes shots to freeze enemies, sometimes charged shots must be used to freeze them; turns the beam color to blue. Using in combination with other beams will continue adding a freezing effect to your attacks.
- Plasma Beam: Causes shots to be more powerful while also passing through enemies to attack any behind them; turns the beam color to green. Can be combined with all other beams except the spazer, and adds its effect to them.
- Hyper Beam: Acquired during the Mother Brain fight. Can not be charged but will fire continuously with the fire button held down.
 Morph Ball Related
- Morph Ball: After acquiring this, Samus will be able to morph into a ball to traverse narrow passages.
- Morph Ball Bomb: These are guarded by a Torizo statue. Once acquired, you can plant up to three bombs at a time. The explosion can also bounce the morph ball a short distance into the air.
- Power Bomb: Power Bombs damage everything on screen, including things somewhat offscreen. Yellow doors can only be opened with a Power Bomb. They can also be used to affect the environment in some areas.
- Spring Ball: Allows Samus to jump while in Morph Ball form.