In The Wind Waker, the Great Sea is divided into 49 equal square sectors, and arranged in a 7×7 square. The islands listed below are arranged as they appear on the map of the Great Sea in the game. Islands of particular importance to the plot are listed in bold.
There is a difference between the island information here and side-quests. Items to be gained, locations of submarines, secrets caves, and Merman hints are discussed here (among many other things). However, longer character interactions leading to items, and trading sequences are not mentioned here, but on the Side-quests page. Also, dungeon info and items are not discussed here, but on the Walkthrough pages.
Forsaken Fortress (A1)
Merman: "I hear there's a fellow on Windfall Island who's collecting Skull Necklaces. You know who it is, fry? I don't. Sorry. What I CAN tell you is that those piggish monsters you see here in the Forsaken Fortress seem to carry those Skull Necklaces around all the time. Not that I think it's easy work stealing anything from the likes of those guys."
- Silver rupee: Treasure Chart 25
- Piece of Heart: Go to room at Southern end of fortress. Step on a hidden switch to open a jail cell. Piece of Heart in chest in jail cell.
Star Island (B1)
Merman: "I hear that somewhere out in the wild world is a handy arrow that can freeze anything. With something like that, you could even freeze that nasty monster in the Forsaken Fortress... for awhile anyway. But then, what would you do with a frozen monster, you say? Good question, fry. Why, I'd say that you'd give that thing a whack and watch it shatter into teeny-tiny pieces!"
Star Island is shaped like a small, six-pointed star, and has several large boulders and a Wilted Deku Tree.
- Piece of Heart: Blow up the southwestern boulder to uncover a secret cave. In the secret cave, Link battles waves of Magtails, Bokoblins, and then Moblins.
- Silver Rupee: Treasure Chart 7
Northern Fairy Island (C1)
Merman: "The little shop master on Windfall Island apparently got his hands on a truly amazing treasure. He calls it Magic Armor or something like that. It's a pretty cool magical relic, from what I've heard. If you want him to give it to you, try staring deep into his eyes and winning him over with flattery, fry! Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"
The Great Fairy on this island will upgrade the capacity of Link's rupee bag. Also, a submarine lurks Northwest of the island, holding Treasure Chart 22.
- Silver rupee: Treasure Chart 24
Gale Isle (D1)
Merman: "Are you thinking you want to get into that cave, small fry? The one that's protected by the crazy winds on that island? Heh heh heh! OK, then. Let me just tell you a little secret... if you go five squares south and one square east from here, you'll reach Ice Ring Isle, where you'll find an item that will make you as heavy as stone. If you get that item, you won't have to worry about being blown over by the winds."
Wind Temple is found behind the gust-blowing statue.
- Triforce Shard: Triforce Chart 2
Crescent Moon Island (E1)
Merman: "You'd best be careful sailing these waters on nights when the moon is full. Well, if you like pure soul-freezing horror, fry,then maybe you can handle it."
This small rock is shaped like a crescent moon. Surrounding the island are many small wooden platforms holding jars with rupees inside. The only way for Link to obtain these rupees is to break the jars from afar with the Hero's Bow. Also, a submarine can be found directly Northeast of the island, holding Treasure Chart 9. Finally, the Ghost Ship lurks in the sector during the full moon.
- Treasure Chart 10: In a chest on the island.
- Heart Piece: Treasure Chart 11
Seven-Star Isles (F1)
Merman: "If you see seagulls flying around some sea waters, that's a sign that you need to be wary, fry. Because the seagulls flock wherever Big Octos appear. I tell you! Those things don't mess around!"
This a rather boring set of islands shaped like the Big Dipper. A Big Octo (12 Eyes) lurks somewhere underwater here.
- Treasure Chart 16: On a platform
- Triforce Shard: Triforce Chart 7
Overlook Island (G1)
Merman: "Hey small fry, do you know about the golden Triumph Forks? They're there, I tell you... on that island... the chart is there, is what I mean to say. But the cliff face rises sharply, and even if you wanted to climb it, there aren't any ledges or footings for you to grab onto. So what are you going to do, small fry?"
This island looks like a set of small towers rising out of the ocean. Hidden inside is a secret cave reachable only if Link hookshots up to the roof (using the palm trees) and drops down. Inside the secret cave is a Triforce Chart, only obtainable if Link fights many enemies, including four Darknuts at a time.
- Secret Cave Chart: Treasure Chart 13
Four-Eye Reef (A2)
Merman: "You've seen those weird rings of light that appear on the surface of the sea, haven't you, small fry? Did you know that some of those rings only appear night? Didn't think so."
Four-Eye Reef is the first of six "reefs" consisting of a square shaped enclosed lagoon with a number of little islands inside corresponding to the number in the island's name. The objective at each one of these "reefs" is to destroy the cannons that hang from the walls, and the gunboats, in order to make a chest appear on top of one of the islands. Link then climbs up on the enclosing ring, and using the Deku Leaf, glides to the island in the middle.
- Treasure Chart 19: In a chest revealed by destroying all of the cannons and gunboats.
- Great Fairy Chart: Treasure Chart 41
Mother & Child Isles (B2)
Merman: "They say that inside the ring of rocks that makes up the perimeter of that island, there lives an incredibly beautiful fairy. But the thing is, nobody's ever met her. Supposedly, the only way you'll ever meet her is to take a ride on a whirlwind and drop inside that rock perimeter from above. Doesn't sound easy, fry."
Mother & Child Isles is host to the Queen of Fairies, who will give Link the Fire and Ice Arrows, but only after you save Aryll from the Forsaken Fortress. The inner grotto where she lives can only be reached by warping there using the Ballad of Gales. As for "Child Isle", the smaller rock next door, a Goron Merchant and a Wilted Deku Tree wait here.
- Silver rupee: Treasure Chart 29
Spectacle Island (C2)
Merman: "Beware the night when the crescent moon faces up. That's all I can tell you, small fry."
The Ghost Ship visits this sector during nights when the crescent moon opens upward. Also, see the Side-quests page for instructions on how to play the Barrel Shoot minigame that is at this small island.
- Silver rupee: Treasure Chart 22 > Pony Poop
Windfall Island (D2)
Merman: "Out on the cape of this island is this crazy dancing fool who can't tell you day from night! The guy's nuts...but you've got to respect someone who's not afraid to just let it all hang out like that, you know? I've been watching him, thinking I'd try to learn that dance and compete with him from out here in the ocean... But I just can't seem to swing with that crazy, funky rhythm of his. That guy's incredible!"
Most of the possibilities on Windfall are covered in the Walkthrough and the Side-quests page, but there is one special treasure chest that contains a Piece of Heart which can only be reached with the fire arrows in your quiver.
- Heart Piece:
- During nighttime on Windfall Island, direct the wind North, then talk to the man in orange on the stairs leading to the Windmill/Ferris Wheel. He will tell Link that the Ferris Wheel can be started by pressing the switch behind the lighthouse. Go back to the door. Now, climb the railing near the door and leap down to the ledge where you see a ladder. Climb the ladder and press the switch.
- Now, with the Ferris Wheel moving, return to the Ferris Wheel and enter one of its gondolas, riding it upwards. When you are halfway up, take out your Fire Arrows and get ready to shoot. At the apex of the ride, the lighthouse light should be turned to face you exactly. Shoot a fire arrow directly into the light fixture, aiming for the small torch in the center. If you aim correctly, the lighthouse should light and a chest will be revealed on a tiny island near the Bomb Shop. You can either set the wind to that direction and glide there, or Hookshot to the chest at close range (if you have the Hookshot).
- Heart Piece: Talk to the man in orange after lighting the lighthouse.
- Green rupee: Treasure Chart 18