Youkai Yashiki/Stage 2
The second stage is arranged to resemble the kanji 叫 which means scream or cry out. The red slimes that appear in this stage split into two blue slimes when they are hit. This stage is the first to contain a bonus stage. To find the bonus stage, you must fall in the right location. You will appear to die, but shortly after, you will be whisked away to another section. The prize which you can collect in the bonus section is an extra flashlight which will double the height of your light puffs.
- Talisman 1
- From the start, walk to the left. Watch out for the demons that patrol this section. When you shoot at them, they jump in the air and then fire a projectile back at you when they land. Climb up to the top platform, and climb up the right ladder. Continue to climb all the way up for two screens (you will see talismans on the way up). When you reach the top, you will arrive before the first talisman.
- Talisman 2
- After collecting the first talisman, be careful of the demon patrolling the narrow corridor. Walk to the left towards the other ladder, and you will actually drop through an invisible gap in the floor. You will land on the top platform. The little creatures that patrol the platforms will actually drain life from you if you defeat them, so don't shoot at them. From the top platform, drop to the right and collect the talisman. You can then jump to the left platform and shoot the lamp. While you may think the next talisman is one screen below, these two screens are reflections of each other, so as soon as you collected the first talisman, the other one disappeared.
- Talisman 3
- From the second talisman, drop down to the screen left of the start screen, and continue left. Defeat the slimes in the tunnel, and proceed left. Drop down the gap in the floor to the screen below. You may notice something bobbing up and down below the platform. If you jump straight up and down over it, you will free a little bird who will drop through the bottom of the screen and refuel all of your batteries. Then drop through the well on the left. You will arrive in a room with a lantern at the top. Climb up and collect its contents if you wish and drop back through the well. You will arrive at the top of the central column. Fire spirits will be floating around which you can shoot to restore your battery level. Climb up to the top platform, and jump through the wall into the center chasm. You will drop all the way down to the bottom and land on a well. The third talisman will be right beside it.
- Bonus section
- After you collect the third talisman, use the well nearby, and you will arrive in the same room you previously arrived in, but on the right side. Climb down the ladder and make your way down to the bottom level. Walk to the right, through the tunnel with the slimes, and to the next room on the right. You will see the fourth talisman resting on a platform up above. Watching out for the umbrella demons, jump over the first gap and fall into the middle gap. You will appear to get caught, and then the "NOW LOADING" screen will appear. This bonus section only has two rooms. Carefully jump over the first two gaps, which both contain skeletons that pop out of the ground below. Climb up the ladder and defeat the enemy that patrols the ledge, then walk left. Defeat the next enemy, and drop straight down to collect the bonus item: a second Flashlight. This will increase the size of your flashlight puff. Then make your way to the well on the left and drop down through it.
- Talisman 4
- After you return from the bonus section, you will be in the screen above the one you used to access the bonus section. Carefully drop down alongside the tree trunk that extends to the screen below, and you will land on a platform to its right. The talisman will be on a small ledge to the right. Hop over the gap to collect it. (The room to the right contains an Onigiri for you to collect.)
- Talisman 5
- Before you attempt to acquire the fifth talisman, you should make sure you have collected a fifth battery from a lamp or lantern somewhere in the stage, and have filled up your battery meter. When you are ready, return to the screen where you collected the fourth talisman. Fall down to the room below via either outer gap (the middle will just take you back to the bonus section). In the room below, climb down the left ladder and walk to the statue. Unlike other statues that convert Onigiri into full battery supply, this one opens up a secret tunnel to the screen below when you kneel in front of it with four talisman. Once the tunnel is open, and you are sure you want to proceed drop down and collect the fifth talisman. The trip is one way only.
- Boss lair
- Once you collect the talisman, you have no choice but to proceed by climbing down the ladders. Defeat the bouncing P for more battery power, and climb down to the screen below. Then fall down the gap to access the boss.
The boss of this stage is another large head. It remains in place and spite strange looking projectiles at you. You can shoot the projectiles away with your flashlight. Once again, the weak spot is the open mouth. Unfortunately, the open mouth is only slightly off the floor, so you can't hit it while standing, but its easy to jump too high and miss it. The trick is to fire shortly before leaving the ground. If you continuously tap jump and fire, you are sure to land a few hits in its open mouth. Hit it four times and you will defeat it. Having full batteries when you arrive certainly helps, but is not required and should not alter your strategy against the boss.