Games are classified by release dates, modes, genres, systems and companies. A single game may be in one or more categories.
Note: due to convention, game names that begin with a grammatical article (A, An, Das, Der, Die (German: the), L', La, Las, Le, Los, or The) are listed under the next word given in the title. The Legend of Zelda, for instance, will be listed under the letter L in any categories it appears in. Due to technical restrictions, it will not also be listed under the letter T in those categories.
- Years - video game releases for each year
- For a full list of mode categories, see Modes
- Single player - any game which has a section you play by yourself.
- Multiplayer - any game which can be played by two or more humans concurrently.
- For a full list of genre categories, see Genres
- Action - Grand Theft Auto, third person shooters, etc.
- Adventure - Monkey Island, Myst, etc.
- Action-adventure - The Legend of Zelda, ICO, etc.
- Beat 'em up - Double Dragon, Golden Axe, etc.
- Fighting - Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, etc.
- FPS - first person shooter: Halo, Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc.
- Music - Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, Rez, etc.
- Platform - Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros., etc.
- Puzzle - Dr. Mario, etc.
- Racing - Mario Kart DS, Gran Turismo, etc.
- RPG - Final Fantasy, etc.
- RTS - real time strategy games: StarCraft, etc.
- Simulation - Animal Crossing, The Sims, etc.
- Shooter - Xevious, Gradius, etc.
- Sports - Wii Sports, Tony Hawk's American Sk8land etc.
- Strategy - turn-based strategy games: Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.
- Survival horror - Resident Evil, Fatal Frame, etc.
- Turn-based strategy - Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic V, etc.
- For a full list of series categories, see Series
- Call of Duty by Activision
- Castlevania by Konami
- Chrono by Square Enix
- Command & Conquer by Westwood Studios
- Contra by Konami
- Counter-Strike by Valve
- Dance Dance Revolution by Konami
- Disgaea by Nippon Ichi
- Dragon Quest by Square Enix
- Final Fantasy by Square Enix
- Golden Sun by Camelot Software Planning
- Grand Theft Auto by Rockstar
- Half-Life by Valve
- Halo by Bungie
- The Legend of Zelda by Nintendo
- Mario games by Nintendo
- Mario Party by Hudson, Nd Cube
- Mega Man by Capcom
- Megami Tensei by Atlus
- Metal Gear by Konami
- Metroid by Nintendo
- Monkey Island by Lucasarts
- Need for Speed by EA
- Persona by Atlus
- Pokémon by Nintendo
- Seiken Densetsu (also known as Mana) by Square Enix
- Shin Megami Tensei by Atlus
- StarCraft by Blizzard Entertainment
- Star Ocean by Square Enix
- Sonic the Hedgehog by Sega
- Super Smash Bros. by Nintendo
- Tenchu by Activision
- Unreal Tournament by Epic Games
- Warcraft by Blizzard Entertainment
- For a full list of system categories, see Systems
- For a full list of company categories, see Companies
- Blizzard Entertainment
- Electronic Arts
- EA Sports
- Eidos Interactive
- HAL Laboratory
- Microsoft Game Studios
- Midway Games
- Nippon Ichi Software
- Sierra Entertainment
- Squaresoft (now Square Enix)
- Square Enix
- Valve Corporation
- Vicarious Visions