- : Use the control pad to direct your character, Indy Borgnine, in four directions. Push left or right to make Indy run in either direction, or to fall over the side of a ledge. Press up and down to make Indy climb up and down vines.
- : Press the A button to lift an L block that is in front of you. Press it again when you are carrying a block to drop it in front of you.
- : After you collect a magic lamp, press the B button to pass through a block. If you happen to release B while you are still inside of a block, you will die.
- : Press Start to start a new game and pause the action in the middle of a game.
- : Use this button to sacrifice one of your lives and start the stage over when you feel that you have entered into a hopeless situation, and cannot solve the puzzle in its current state.
You are in control of Indiana Borgnine (or simply "Indy Borgnine"), an archaeologist and explorer who is in search of the fabled air garden of Babylon. After reading some lost scriptures, he determines that the only way to see them is to travel to the very top of the 64 story Tower of Babel. Upon reaching the Tower, he discovers that the only way to access the floors above him are to solve some challenging puzzles involving loose L shaped blocks that he finds throughout the Tower. To his great surprise, the blocks are capable of balancing very well on top of one another, in order to form staircases. You will have to help Indy figure out the way to access each and every floor in order to get him to the top. Indy can only lift so many blocks before he runs out of power. If he tries to pick up a block when he's out of strength, he will lose one life.
Bats occupy a couple of the floors, enjoying the dark lighting. The bats in the Tower of Babel have a very simple a predictable pattern of behavior: They bounce up and down while moving to the left or to the right until they hit some obstacle, at which point they reverse direction. By carrying a block over Indy's head, it is nearly impossible for a bat to land on Indy, but it can still happen if Indy is standing in the wrong place. One touch of a Bat is lethal to Indy. Bats can be squashed by blocks, and the do not return.
Priests of Ur
The priests of Ur have wandered the Tower since its creation. Unnatural powers have granted them immortality at a cost: they can never leave the floors that they occupy. Even if their life is taken, they are reborn in the same floor and proceed to attack all intruders. They will kill anyone that they can lay a hand on. And while they can be squashed by blocks, the power that protects them will bring them back to life at the top of their floor. They are not strong enough to lift or move blocks by themselves, which makes them very susceptible to getting trapped between them.
Babelz is a special kind of living rock creature that dwells within the Tower. Presumably composed of the same elements that constructed the tower, these mindless creatures roam restlessly through some of the hallways of the Tower. They slowly march back and forth and when they reach the end of a platform, they create a new L block and drop it down off the side of the platform. In this way, Babelz can be used as a source of new blocks, which are typically the key to reach the exit on the floors where they are found.