Tips and strategies
- Friendly and enemy projectiles will cancel each other out when they collide in the air.
- Try to avoid that situation with power tanks in medium-close range or closer, especially when your tank isn't upgraded.
- Also avoid this situation in case of armored tanks, especially when your tank isn't upgraded or it can lead to a life loss. The more hits armored tank has left, the further the safer range is.
Avoid being cheap-shot by the enemy
- When tanks are positioned like in this picture, they are vulnerable to each other's shots. Try moving sideways to avoid it.
- Positioning a tank like this can be dangerous, but moving quickly away after firing can increase your chances to hit the enemy, unlike direct head-on approach.
Use bricks and steel walls to your advantage
- When your tank is positioned so, you are in a great advantage. Not only can the enemy not shoot at you, but also you have a free shot at the enemy tank.
- Shooting brick wall 3 times can make the remaining wall to be not destructible from the other side while still blocking the enemy movement. With such tactic, enemy has less paths to your home base, making it easier to defend. This strategy can be used well in level 13 or level 35 for an example.
- This tactic cannot be used with a tank that has collected 3 stars, because such tank destroys bricks with double power. Thus, in 2-player mode, it's better if only one player has got the tank upgraded to maximum.
- Sometimes, especially after clock powerup has picked up, player(s) can move to the top of the stage to take down any opponent right after spawning. This strategy works well with upgraded tank and/or with 2-player mode. However, it can decrease the gaming experience and also some tanks (especially armored tanks) may slip through, forcing player(s) to abandon spawn camping to defend the home base.
- Note that spawning time for each tank at the beginning of the stage or after previous ones has been destroyed, is about 3 seconds at stage 1 but decreases to less than 1 second in stage 35. Spawning process speeds up even more in 2-player mode.
- Fully upgraded tank is sometimes necessary because some stages have steel walls at the top of the stage.
There is very little need of a walkthrough for Battle City. You progress through each stage one at a time (and you can choose what stage you start out on in some versions.) In each stage, there are 20 tanks in total you must defeat in order to advance to the next stage. The thing to do immediately when you begin each stage, is to analyze what avenues of approach exist for the enemy to attack your base from, and where you can find shelter for your own tank and attack from. Other than that, keep your eye out for red flashing tanks and collect the power-ups they leave behind as soon as possible.
When the stage 35 has been completed, every stage is repeated again. After completing 70th stage, the game will reset back to stage 1 with everything (except your tank power and score).
Difficulty of defending the base with not upgraded tank:
- ★: Easy enemy tank patterns, can use many safe spots. Hard for enemy tanks to approach the base.
- ★★: There are some difficulties for defending the base, but nothing really serious. Don't be careless though.
- ★★★: Hard or medium tank patterns, your base is quite vulnerable and the level design can be quite tricky. Be careful.
- ★★★★: Your base is vulnerable from multiple directions and it's easy for the enemy to attack your base. Hard tank patterns. Can't defend all the enemy routes to the base at the same time. Powerups and tank upgrades are more than welcome here. Be extra careful in these levels.
|Stage 1||★||18 Basic Tanks||2 Fast Tanks||N/A||N/A|
|Stage 2||★||2 Armor Tanks||4 Fast Tanks||14 Basic Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 3||★||14 Basic Tanks||4 Fast Tanks||2 Armor Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 4 (Libble Rabble)||★★||10 Power Tanks||5 Fast Tanks||2 Basic Tanks||3 Armor Tanks|
|Stage 5||★||5 Power Tanks||2 Armor Tanks||8 Basic Tanks||5 Fast Tanks|
|Stage 6||★||7 Power Tanks||2 Fast Tanks||9 Basic Tanks||2 Armor Tanks|
|Stage 7||★★||3 Basic Tanks||4 Fast Tanks||6 Power Tanks||7 Basic Tanks|
|Stage 8||★★★||7 Power Tanks||2 Armor Tanks||4 Fast Tanks||7 Basic Tanks|
|Stage 9||★||6 Basic Tanks||4 Fast Tanks||7 Power Tanks||3 Armor Tanks|
|Stage 10 (Mappy)||★||12 Basic Tanks||2 Fast Tanks||4 Power Tanks||2 Armor Tanks|
|Stage 11||★★||5 Fast Tanks||6 Armor Tanks||4 Power Tanks||5 Fast Tanks|
|Stage 12||★||8 Power Tanks||6 Fast Tanks||6 Armor Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 13||★★★||8 Power Tanks||8 Fast Tanks||4 Armor Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 14 (Skull)||★★★||10 Power Tanks||4 Fast Tanks||6 Armor Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 15||★★||2 Basic Tanks||10 Fast Tanks||8 Armor Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 16 (Praying Mantis)||★||16 Basic Tanks||2 Fast Tanks||2 Armor Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 17||★★||2 Armor Tanks||2 Fast Tanks||8 Armor Tanks||8 Basic Tanks|
|Stage 18||★★||4 Armor Tanks||2 Basic Tanks||6 Power Tanks||8 Fast Tanks|
|Stage 19||★★★||4 Fast Tanks||8 Armor Tanks||4 Basic Tanks||4 Power Tanks|
|Stage 20||★★★★||8 Fast Tanks||2 Basic Tanks||2 Power Tanks||8 Armor Tanks|
|Stage 21 (Dig Dug's Pooka)||★★★||8 Power Tanks||2 Fast Tanks||6 Basic Tanks||4 Armor Tanks|
|Stage 22||★★★||8 Fast Tanks||6 Basic Tanks||2 Power Tanks||4 Armor Tanks|
|Stage 23 (Falcon)||★★||6 Armor Tanks||4 Power Tanks||10 Fast Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 24||★★★||4 Power Tanks||2 Armor Tanks||4 Fast Tanks||10 Basic Tanks|
|Stage 25||★★★||2 Power Tanks||8 Fast Tanks||10 Armor Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 26||★★||6 Fast Tanks||6 Armor Tanks||4 Basic Tanks||4 Power Tanks|
|Stage 27||★★★★||2 Power Tanks||8 Armor Tanks||8 Fast Tanks||2 Basic Tanks|
|Stage 28 (House)||★★★||2 Fast Tanks||1 Armor Tank||15 Basic Tanks||2 Power Tanks|
|Stage 29||★★★||10 Power Tanks||4 Fast Tanks||6 Armor Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 30||★★||4 Basic Tanks||8 Fast Tanks||4 Power Tanks||4 Armor Tanks|
|Stage 31||★★||3 Power Tanks||8 Fast Tanks||6 Armor Tanks||3 Power Tanks|
|Stage 32||★★★||8 Armor Tanks||6 Basic Tanks||2 Power Tanks||4 Fast Tanks|
|Stage 33||★★★||4 Fast Tanks||8 Armor Tanks||4 Power Tanks||4 Fast Tanks|
|Stage 34 (Devil)||★★★★||4 Power Tanks||10 Fast Tanks||6 Armor Tanks||N/A|
|Stage 35 (Galaxian)||★★||4 Power Tanks||6 Fast Tanks||10 Armor Tanks||N/A|
When stages start to repeat again, tank pattern in each level (36-70) is same as 35th stage. Enemy tank spawning speed is also increased.