- : Use the direction pad to guide the player throughout the screen. The player can move in all four cardinal directions, but not diagonally.
- : Press the A button to place bombs on the ground where you stand.
- : Press the B button to dig a hole in the ground in front of you, or to fill a hole up if you happen to be standing in front of one.
- : Press the Start button to begin a new game, or to pause the action mid-game.
- : Press Select on the title screen to choose between a one or two player game, or to continue the game from where the previous game ended.
Each player controls one of the Booby Kids. Player 1 controls the blue kid, and player 2 controls the red kid. The kids' goal is to collect every treasure item on the stage, and then enter the door to travel to the next stage. There are 21 stages in all, with the last stage featuring a giant boss that is only defeated when all of the treasure items have been collected. You have a time limit of 5 minutes in which to collect every treasure. You will lose one life if time runs out. The entire stage is reset when a kid loses his life. The kids are highly skilled at digging and filling in holes. That is both their primary offense and defense against the enemies that are running around the stage with them, trying to catch them. If a kid is touched by an enemy, they will lose one life. The enemies will fall into the holes dug by the kids, and then the kids can temporarily remove the enemy from the stage by filling in the hole. If an enemy is left in a hole long enough, it will eventually climb out and escape. The kids are also in danger of falling in their own holes. Once this happens, there is no escape and you will lose one life. A kid will also lose a life if they fall into water. If a kid buries one of the two types of enemies present on each stage, the enemy may leave behind an item that will help the kids out. The game is over when a kid loses all of his lives, or when he collects all the treasures from the 21st stage.
All items, except for the bomb, are obtained by burying one of the two types of enemies that are present on each stage. Only one of the enemy types may leave items behind, and not every instance of that type will do so. Bomb are obtained by finding the illusionary bomb depots that are present on certain stages. More information will be provided about them in the walkthrough.