Click here for more information about Akuma's other fighting game appearances.
- First appearance: Super Street Fighter II Turbo
- Other appearances: Street Fighter Alpha series, Street Fighter III series, Street Fighter EX series, Marvel vs. Capcom series.
- Related characters: Shin Akuma, Ken, Ryu, Evil Ryu, Gen
Akuma has always been the quintessential "secret character" of many Capcom fighting games. Known as Gouki in Japan, he is the brother of Ken and Ryu's master, Gouken. Gouki and Gouken learned their lethal martial arts techniques from a master known only as Goutetsu. While Gouken proceeded to teach his form of martial arts to students with the assassination techniques removed, Gouki steeped himself further in the art form, sacrificing his own humanity to achieve killing perfection. Shortly after Ken and Ryu parted ways with their sensei, Gouki attacked his brother to prove how foolish Gouken had been. When the battle was over, Gouken was dead. While Ken became determined to track Gouki down and extract revenge for the murder of Ken's master, Ryu has walked a fine line between becoming the greatest martial artist, and plunging into the darkness that consumed Gouki.
Akuma appears, once again, as a very secret fighter in the original Capcom vs. SNK. Akuma will only challenge those fighters who he deems worthy of battle. Players are required to amass a significant number of Groove Points by the end of the game in order to prove their worthiness. He returns in Capcom vs. SNK 2 as a regular competitor, but it is his true form, Shin Akuma, that remains hidden for players to unlock and do battle against.
Pro version changes
- Akuma can combo into a Shakunetsu Hadouken from a crouching .
- Akuma an cancel his forward jump or in mid air into his level 3 Tenma Gou Zankuu.
- He loses the Zugai Hasatsu hop kick. Consequently, it is much easier to execute Shun Goku Satsu.
- Timing on the Messatsu Gou Shouryuu juggle has changed. You must hit your opponent while they are very high in the air for the juggle to connect. It only juggles as a level 2 or 3 (move can still be juggled after low hitting knockdowns, such as after a crouching HK).