While fairly strong, and without the system of cheat codes deliberately added to today’s games, CoTW has glitches that can be exploited.
Free store items
Go into a store and cast Phase Door or Teleport. Exit the screen. The pile of items will be sitting in the door to the shop. There are a few ways to get the items.
- Reenter the shop and if you haven't entered the dungeon yet, use Rune of Return and move your items around to different slots until you get pulled away.
- Reenter the shop and cast Summon Monster or Undead from a cursed wand or staff, exit the screen, go into the inventory screen and pick it all up.
- Keep using Phase Door or Teleport until you land on the space with the items and go into the inventory screen. If in the inventory screen you cast Phase Door or Teleport, you can still access the floor of the space you were once in. This will be fixed once you leave the inventory screen.
- Using the Get command to pick up the store dropped items will cause a crash.
- The game will crash if you don't leave at least one item at the store.
- Don't save the game while there are inventory piles in the shop doors. Leave the town and reenter first.
- If the Rune of Return activates right after you cast it, you will have to enter the shop and try again.
Regenerate a floor
Using the parenthesis keys —to go down and to go up — instead of the usual angle bracket keys or menu command will cause the game to regenerate the destination floor, including bosses that have already been killed.
Negative number overflows
- Extreme mana glitch: Get down to -2 mana then step onto a glyph of warding that causes you to lose mana. Your mana will be either very, very high or very, very low.
- Maximize Constitution: When starting a new game, choose Magic Arrow as your starting skill and start casting it. Eventually, it will ask you if you are sure you want to cast it because your mana will be very low. Continue casting until you are around -16 or so mana, and your max health will jump quite high. Make sure if you do this to put your starting stats into something besides Constitution so as they are not wasted.
- Attribute Overflow: Usually, using the stat-increasing potions is a good thing. But overuse of them on any particular attribute will RESET that attribute to zero. It's advisable to stop using potions to increase a specific status when it first reaches the top.
Go into the inventory and follow these steps.
- Equip the item.
- With your right mouse button, click the item and hold the mouse button down without removing the item.
- Press to pick up the item. Then release the right mouse button (you should still have the item as your mouse pointer).
- Drag the item to your Free Hand slot. Click the left mouse button to drop the item into your Free Hand slot.
The item will be gone, but its effects will stay with you. This works best with lighter weight items, such as rings and pendants, because the weight and bulk also stays with you.
Super level up
When level 25, drink a Draught of Gain Level and go up 5 levels.
If there are too many monsters on a dungeon map (150+), they will all stop moving. You can use wands of Clone Monster to achieve this.