This article could use a cleanup in order to be more legible and/or presentable. Please help improve this article in any way possible. Remember to follow our editing guidelines when improving existing articles. If you can improve this page, please talk page., or help by discussing possible changes on the
|Total Games||unknown (161 present)|
GameTap is a subscription-based video game service by Turner Broadcasting System (TBS) available for Windows, Mac OS X (Intel only), and web browsers; the Mac version does not have access to the Windows games, and the web-based version currently only supports a small number of arcade games. Dubbed by TBS as a "broadband gaming network", the service provides subscribers with the ability to play hundreds of games and view game-related video content for a flat monthly fee of US$9.95.
GameTap launched with over 300 games and this number has since grown to over 1000. New games are added weekly.
GameTap also features video programming related to video games, including first-run episodes of Space Ghost Coast to Coast with historic figures from video gaming as guests.
Subscribers have access to the entire library; there is no per-game fee. Games cannot be purchased, and are automatically deactivated when the user unsubscribes from the service. Games can be installed on any number of computers, but can only be played simultaneously on two computers per user. Users must have a broadband connection, and cannot play GameTap games while disconnected from the Internet.
Most multiplayer games can be played by two users on the same computer. A limited number of games support online multiplayer.
The initial list of game licensees included Activision, Atari, Intellivision Lives, Midway Games, Namco, Sega, and Taito Corporation. Since its inception, more companies have licensed their software, including: Eidos Interactive, G-Mode, Ubisoft, CodeMasters, Vivendi Universal, Konami, Electronic Arts, Capcom, Take-Two Interactive, Interplay and SNK Playmore.
AOL Instant Messenger is integrated into the GameTap software, allowing users to chat and find multiplayer opponents.
Besides Windows and MS-DOS titles, and emulations of original arcade machines, GameTap also emulates classic home computers and consoles including:
- Atari 2600
- Commodore 64
- Sega 32X
- Sega Dreamcast
- Sega Game Gear
- Sega Genesis
- Sega Master System
While GameTap in its original conception contained only older licensed games and ports from legacy consoles, plans for games released primarily on the service have been mentioned. One of the most well-known of these as of November 11, 2006 is the previously-canceled Uru Live service, scheduled to open for a public beta later in November.
Pages in category "GameTap"
The following 161 pages are in this category, out of 161 total.
- Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space
- Sam & Max Episode 101: Culture Shock
- Sam & Max Episode 102: Situation: Comedy
- Sam & Max Episode 103: The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball
- Sam & Max Episode 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die!
- Sam & Max Episode 105: Reality 2.0
- Sam & Max Episode 106: Bright Side of the Moon
- Sam & Max Episode 201: Ice Station Santa
- Sam & Max Episode 202: Moai Better Blues
- Sam & Max Episode 203: Night of the Raving Dead
- Sam & Max Episode 204: Chariots of the Dogs
- Sam & Max Episode 205: What's New, Beelzebub?
- Samurai Shodown
- Samurai Shodown II
- Samurai Shodown III
- Samurai Shodown IV
- Samurai Shodown V
- Second Sight
- Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention
- Sid Meier's Civilization III
- Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004)
- Sonic Drift
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
- Space Duel
- Space Invaders
- Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge
- Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon
- Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter
- The Story of Thor
- Street Fighter
- Street Fighter Alpha
- Street Fighter Alpha 2
- Street Fighter Alpha 3
- Street Fighter II Champion Edition
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
- Streets of Rage
- Streets of Rage 2
- Streets of Rage 3
- Super Pac-Man
- Super Street Fighter II
- Super Street Fighter II Turbo
- Super Xevious