- / : Press left or right to move in either direction, whether you are running, swimming or flying.
- : Press up to enter through a doorway that you are standing in front of. While hanging onto a wall, press up to climb up. Also press up to fly or swim upward.
- : Press down to squat. While you are squatting, you can also press left or right to crawl in either direction. Press down while hanging onto a wall to descend. Press down while swimming or flying to dive.
- : Press the A button to perform a jump. The longer you hold A, the higher you will jump. While wearing the Jet Pack, press and hold A to fly around.
- : Press the B button to attack. Normally, you will fire your main gun, but if you have a special weapon selected, you will fire that weapon as long as you have ammo remaining.
- : Press the Start button to begin a new game, or to pause the action mid-game and bring up the world map. While paused, press Start again to return to the game.
- : Press the Select button to pause the game and bring up your item selection screen. Use to navigate the item grid, and press to activate the currently selected item (assuming you possess at least one). Press the Select button again to return to the game.
Sgt. Billy "Big Bang" Blitz
You control Billy Blitz, or Bang as he is known in the American version of the game. From the start of the game, you are on a mission to rescue Professor Plum and save the world from the threat of his Doomsday Device. To accomplish that, you'll have to travel across various routes that are located around Demonhead Mountain.
Bang is a trained member of a special ops team. He is very athletic and can jump tremendous distances and heights. With the aid of some equipment, he can jump even higher and farther. He also carries a weapon with him, his trusty pistol. Each bullet he fires will travel all the way across the screen, and he can fire two such bullets on the screen at one time. It will never run out of ammo. Bang can collect or purchase other more powerful special weapons, but they possess a limited amount of ammunition, and can run out, so save them for special occasions.
Bang has a power meter at the bottom left corner of the screen. In the beginning of the game, it starts out with four bars. After accomplishing certain tasks, or acquiring particular items, his power meter will expand, allowing him to take more damage before collapsing. Each bar does not represent a single hit point, but rather a collection of hit points; Bang can be hit multiple times before losing a bar from the meter. However, if Bang's takes too much damage when his power meter is empty, he will die and the game will be over. You will return to the main menu screen, where you will be given the opportunity to continue, returning you to the map at the last location you visited before you died.
In addition to health, Bang later gains access to an ability known as Force. He learns how to use it after he rescues a Hermit. The Hermit will teach him the first of five abilities, Micro-Power, and then Bang must unlock the rest of the abilities by collecting fruit to accumulate more Force points.
Once you rescue the Hermit on Route 35, he gives you the ability to use Force points to access certain abilities. You must, however, reach a certain number of Force points before each ability becomes available to you.
|Micro Power||50||Using this ability will shrink Bang to an incredibly small size, enabling him to pass through passages that are too narrow to crawl through normally.||Free|
|Teleport||60||Use Teleport to instantly transport Bang to an intersection on the world map which you have previously visited. You cannot use this ability to reach intersections you have not yet been to.||200|
|Levitation||80||Using the Levitation ability is similar to using a Jet Pack, although it's a bit slower. But it allows you to fly anywhere through a route.||300|
|Energizer||100||If you're ever low on health and in danger of dying, use the Energizer ability to restore all of your lost health.||400|
|Karate Power!||120||You will gain 30 seconds of invincibility when you activate Karate Power. It is useful against some bosses, but not all of them.||500|
There are four power suits in the game, which you can purchase from a store. Each suit enhances Bang's abilities in a different way.
|Hyper Boots||Aqua Lung|
|Jet Pack||Super Suit|