The walkthrough that follows presents the chapter-by-chapter story of Dragon Warrior. The game itself is quite simple however; once you are familiar with the gameplay very little needs be known to win the game.
Something like 95% of the first Dragon Warrior game is spent leveling up. Check out General strategy for advice on doing this, and be ready to spend some time at it. Buy the best Items and Equipment, upgrading your weapons, armor, and shield each time as soon as you have enough money for it. When you are ready, you can begin searching out what you will need or want to have to defeat the Dragonlord. Without extensive luck, you will need to be level 20-25 to have a chance at winning; most of the tasks below can be accomplished at much lower level however.
- Magic Keys are purchased in the northwest corner of Rimuldar, and will be needed repeatedly.
- You'll want the best buyable equipment before proceeding: a Flame Sword, Magic Armor, and a Silver Shield.
- The Silver Harp is found deep within The Grave of Garin.
- The Stones of Sunlight are found in cellars beneath Tantagel.
- The Staff of Rain will be given to you in exchange for the Silver Harp, by an old man in The Kol Shrine.
- Gwaelin's Love is received after defeating the green dragon in the Swamp Cave.
- Erdrick's Armor is hidden behind a shop in eastern Hauksness, and heavily guarded.
- Erdrick's Token is found deep in the swamps south of Cantlin, 70 paces south and 40 paces east of Tantagel (easy to locate using Gwaelin's Love).
- The Rainbow Drop is given to you by an old man in the temple in southeast Alefgard, once you've acquired the Stones of Sunlight, Staff of Rain, and Erdrick's Token.
- The Rainbow Bridge is created by using the Rainbow Drop next to the channel crossing to Charlock Island.
- Erdrick's Sword is found within The Dragon Lord's Castle.