- : Use the joystick to direct the druid in any of eight directions.
- : Press the fire button to cast your currently selected offensive magic.
- : Press the P key to cycle through the three available offensive magics; water, fire, and lightning.
- : Press the 1 key when standing next to a door to invoke an unlock spell (requires 1 key).
- : Press the 2 to invoke the spell of invisibility and halt the monsters' movements for a limited period of time (requires 1 invisibility).
- : Press the 3 to summon a Golem who can be put to use and attack for you (requires 1 Golem).
- : Press the 4 to cast the spell of Chaos which destroys all enemies on the screen for a limited period of time (requires 1 skull).
: Press the A key to cycle through the three available Golem commands; wait, follow, and send.
- + : Pressing this combination of keys puts the Golem in manual mode where his movements may be controlled by a second joystick.
- : Use the control pad to direct the druid in any of eight directions.
- : Press the A button to cast your currently selected offensive magic.
- : Press the B button to cast your currently selected alternate magic.
- : Press the Start button to pause the game and alter your current magic selections.
- : Press the A key to cycle through the three available Golem commands; wait, 2nd player, follow, and attack. In 2nd player mode, the Golem's movement may be controlled by a second control pad.
Throughout the game, you are in control of Hasrinaxx, a druid who is trying to rid the world of the evil Acamantor and his army of demons. As a druid, you can command the powers of nature and magically summon one of three different elemental attacks. These three elements, water, fire, and lightning, are capable of harming all of your foes, but each foe is weak to a particular type of magic. Your supply of magic is limited, and it behooves you to learn which magic works best on each creature. In addition to the three basic forms of attack magic, the Druid has access to four other types of spells that are rare and should be used sparingly.
In order to cast spells, the druid must have the necessary ingredients in his inventory. For each of the three elemental spells, the druid may stock up to 99 of each element in his supply of magic. He will find more ingredients to replenish his supply from treasure chests. However, among the available contents of a chest, only one item may be collected. Once that item has been chosen, the remaining items are instantly destroyed. In addition to collecting elemental supplies, the druid may find one of the more rare ingredients for alternate spells such as a key, a golem's body, or a skull. You must choose which item to take very carefully, as running out of important supplies can spell disaster for the druid.
The druid has a health meter that drains whenever he is attacked by a monster, enters water, or stands on a dangerous surface. In many levels, you can find pentagrams which can restore the druid's health as long as he stands on them. If the druid's health meter is ever completely drained, the game is over, although you will have an opportunity to continue from the location where you fell. As the druid attacks and destroys monsters, he will earn points. The more points the druid has attained by the end of the game, the higher is final ranking will be.
There are three elemental forms of magic that the druid may attack his enemies with. These are water, fire, and lightning. While every enemy will take damage when struck with one of these elements, each creature is more vulnerable to a certain type of magic than the rest. You should learn each enemy's weakness and switch to that type of magic when you encounter them. You may only hold up to 99 units of each element. Even if you open a chest and select a quantity of a spell that would increase your supply beyond 99, you will only be allowed to keep 99.