- : Use the direction pad to move the player character in any of the four cardinal directions. Note that the player cannot walk diagonally.
- : During combat portions of the game, press the A button to fire your primary weapon.
- : Press the B button to activate your currently selected ESP power.
- : Press the Start button to alternate between the game and the status screen.
- : Use the Select button to toggle through your available ESP powers. Can even be used on the status screen. (Also has the effect of freezing the movement of enemy paw prints if pressed rapidly.)
When you begin a new game, you are given the opportunity to provide a four letter name to your player. From there, you control the player as he attempts to rescue the story book world that he discovered upon opening a novel. Throughout the game, you will alternate between visiting towns, and entering dangerous enemy filled territory, where you must fight monsters to gain experience while helps you earn new levels, and money which can be used to buy better equipment. In order to fight monsters, the player is equipped with a gun. He is initially given a water gun, but he can buy better guns with enough money. Upon reaching the fourth level, the player will also earn his first ESP power, the power of Psi Beam, which creates a beam of energy that launches forward through several enemies. In towns, he is seen without his helmet, as shown to the left, but in enemy territory, he dons his protective head gear, as shown to the right. The player has a limited amount of hit points, and he will lose some every time he is hit by an enemy, or an enemy's bullets. If the player's hit points run out, he will die and the game will be over. You will then be given a chance to continue your game, or save it.