Before picking up the character, you need to know, that each of them has strong points, weaknesses and a unique style. Despite that, all characters have a number of moves similar to each others'. Here is the list of all moves, which are pretty much the same, no matter who you choose. Special moves and other differences are listed in each charachers' descriptions.
- Grapple: Go to enemy, and you will automatically grab him. Careful: some enemies and most number of bosses can grapple you before you grapple them! To make a front grapple, approach enemy from the front; or approach from the back for a back grapple. While grappling, you can always press + to swith between front grapple and back grapple.
- Jump escape: while grappling. Mike Haggar doesn't have this one.
- Run: , or , while facing that direction.
- Leap back: , or , while facing opposite direction. Don't forget to use directional lock for this move.
- Direction lock: Hold or while walking to face the direction you're currently looking.
- Pick up object: near the object. Consumables (points, food, 1-up) will be used instantly; in case of a weapon you will arm yourself with it.
- Attack: . Depending on the circumstances, you can perform a throw or a grappling strike (while grappling), weapon attack (in case of having a weapon) or a common attack with your bare hands and legs (in other cases).
- Jump: . You can jump on the same spot, while walking or while running. In all cases you will cover different distances.
- Rear jump: , /. You must quickly press the directional button opposite to the direction you're facing.
- Jump attack: while jumping for a jump kick or + for a knee strike.
- Get up faster: Rapidly press , and , after being knocked down.
- Special attack: + or just . In consumes part of your life bar, if you hit someone, even your own teammate.
- Super: First of all, you need a -meter to be filled. After that enter a special combination (sometimes you need to grapple an enemy) to make a very powerful attack. See specific character description to know each super move.
All buttons listed here are default ones. You can configurate all of them except for D-pad in Key config. section before the game.