- : Use the direction pad to direct the tank in eight different directions. The tanks can move anywhere that is not blocked by a building or trees.
- : Press the A button to fire your main artillery. You will fire shots in which every direction the cannon is facing.
- : Tap the B button to fire your machine guns. These will fire in which ever direction the tank is facing. Hold the B button down while moving to aim the cannon in one of eight directions.
- : Press the Start button to begin a new game, or to pause the action mid-game.
- : Press the Select button to pause the game and call up the sub-screen, where you can activate items, or answer radio calls.
You will be driving this tank throughout the game. The tank is capable of maneuvering in eight different directions. It can also fire machine guns or artillery in eight different directions. While the machine guns can only be fired in the direction that the tank is facing, the artillery can be fired in a direction distinct from the tank's current direction by holding down the B button to aim the cannon before firing.
The tank has an energy meter which indicates how damaged the tank is. The meter is decreased when the tank is hit by enemy fire, or whenever you collide with an enemy tank. The meter can be refueled by collecting E tiles, or by running over enemy soldiers with the tank. If the energy meter is ever depleted, the tank will explode, and you will lose one life. If all lives are lost, the game ends, but you have an opportunity to obtain a password to resume your progress later on, or to continue from the beginning of the segment that you died in.
While crossing enemy territory, you will encounter a variety of tiles to collect. Other than the E tile, which provides an immediate boost to your energy meter, all tiles can be stored and activated later on through the sub-screen. Press to view the sub-screen and activate or deactivate whichever items you wish. If an item is fully used up, it is automatically deactivated.