From the 1992 Kriby's Dream Land manual:
On a tiny star somewhere far, far away from earth, there is a very special place known as Dream Land. The Dream Landers are very happy people who use their magical sparkling stars to play and work among the heavens. That is until one night when the gluttonous King Dedede and his rotten band of thieves swooped down from neighboring Mt. Dedede for a midnight snack in Dream Land. Not only did they steal all their food, but they stole the the Dream Landers' treasured Sparkling Stars as well.
Because the Dream Landers didn't have the Sparkling Stars to gather food anymore they began to get very hungry. Suddenly a spry little boy named Kirby happened along and said "Don't worry, I'll get your food and your Sparkling Stars back!". With these words, Kirby set off on his quest toward the dreaded Mt. Dedede. We wish him luck!
- Green Greens: nature's trail of badness. The start your journey, this natural setting is full of rolling hills, fleecy clouds, and bushy trees. But don't let the scenery distract you because while the animals may look cute and friendly, they can be very troublesome and dangerous.
- Castle Lololo: plenty of strange things await you in this castle. Take one step inside and you'll know that something weird is going on! You'll have to be careful here because some of the nasties that float around here can't be beat by inhaling them. The not so famous twins Lololo and Lalala rule this castle of gloom.
- Float Islands: this is definitely not a resort paradise. It may look like an island paradise lined with palm trees, but don't expect to have a relaxing time here! You'll have to watch your step as you island hop or you could end up falling in to the ocean. Kaboola will have you scrambling to dodge her constant attack of cannon balls.
- Bubbly Clouds: the kingdom of clouds. You won't find a clear path through these soft billowy clouds! By hiding in the clouds, King Dedede's bullies will find a way to surprise you when you least expect it. The boss Kracko is lightning fast. You'll have to keep moving and keep a clear head in order to beat him!
- Mt. Dedede: King Dedede and his crew are waiting on this mystical mountain. He heard that you were coming and he has called for all of the stage bosses to return to Mt. Dedede to protect him. This is going to be your toughest battle yet, but if you've come this far, you mustn't give up. Remember, the people of Dream Land are counting on you!