Dark Avengeris a defensive melee warrior. He uses swords and blunts with shield and heavy armor. He can stun, summon a panther and use a mixed palette of other aggressive skills.
Like all pure tank classes, he has Aggression and Hate Aura to attract mobs to focus their attacks on him (instead of on other party members), and he has Shield Fortress and Ultimate Defense to increase his defense values, and Deflect Arrow to make bow attacks much less efficient on him. He also has the passive skills Final Fortress to increase p.def with falling hp, and Shield Mastery to improve the effectivity of shields.
Like the Paladin, he has Shield Stun and Majesty.
Like the Shillien Knight, he as Corpse Plague and Drain Health.
He can Summon Dark Panther, curse opponents with Hamstring, panic them with Horror, and can Reflect Damage.
Format: Name (Max. Level) - Description (Level[+Updates]/Next Level ...)
- Aggression (49) - Provokes opponent's desire to attack. (24+3/28+3/32+3/36+3/40+3/43+3/46+3/49+3/52+3/55+3/58+3/60+2/62+2/64+2/66+2/68+2/70+2/72+2/74+2)
- Corpse Plague (4) - Corpse emits a cloud that poisons nearby enemies. (46/58/62/70)
- Deflect Arrow (4) - Increases defense against bow attacks. (24/32/43/49)
- Drain Health (53) - Absorbs HP. (20+2/24+2/28+3/32+3/36+3/40+6/43+3/46+3/49+3/52+3/55+3/58+3/60+2/62+2/64+2/66+2/68+2/70+2/72+2/74+2)
- Hamstring (14) - Temporarily reduces enemy's Speed. (43/46/49/52/55/58/60/62/64/66/68/70/72/74)
- Hate Aura (37) - Provokes your opponent to attack. (40+3/43+3/46+3/49+3/52+3/55+3/58+3/60+2/62+2/64+2/66+2/68+2/70+2/72+2/74+2)
- Horror (13) - Makes enemy fearful and run away. (46/49/52/55/58/60/62/64/66/68/70/72/74)
- Life Scavenge (15) - Drain Healing from corpses. (40/43/46/49/52/55/58/60/62/64/66/68/70/72/74)
- Iron Will (3) - Temporarily increases M. Def. (43/49/55)
- Majesty (3) - Temporarily decreases Evasion and increases P. Def. (20/40/58)
- Reflect Damage (3) - Temporarily reflects damage back upon the enemy excluding damage from skill or remote attack. (40/46/52)
- Shield Fortress (6) - Increases personal shield defense rate. Continuously consumes MP. (64/66/68/70/72/74)
- Shield Stun (52) - Throws target into a state of shock. (20+3/24+3/28+3/32+3/36+3/40+3/43+3/46+3/49+3/52+3/55+3/58+3/60+2/62+2/64+2/66+2/68+2/70+2/72+2/74+2)
- Summon Dark Panther (7) - Summons a Dark Panther, 30% xp cost, crystals consumed. (40/49/58/62/66/70/74)
- Relax (1) - Regeneration when sitting. (5)
- Ultimate Defense (2) - Instantly increases P. Def. and M. Def. significantly. User must remain still while it takes effect. (20/46)
- Final Fortress (11) - Automatically increases P. Def. when HP level falls. (52/55/58/60/62/64/66/68/70/72/72/74)
- Focus Mind (6) - Increases one's MP Recovery Speed. (36/43/49/55/64/72)
- Heavy Armor Mastery (52) - Increases P.def. with Heavy Armor. (20+3/24+3/28+3/32+3/36+3/40+3/43+3/46+3/49+3/52+3/55+3/58+3/60+2/62+2/64+2/66+2/68+2/70+2/72+2/74+2)
- Shield Mastery (4) - Shield defense rate increases. (20/28/40/52)
- Sword Blunt Mastery (45) - Increases P. Atk. for Swords and Blunts. (20/24/28+2/32+2/36+2/40+3/43+3/46+3/49+3/52+3/55+3/58+3/60+2/62+2/64+2/66+2/68+2/70+2/72+2/74+2)
- Armor Mastery (5) - Increases P.def for heavy / P.def and Evasion for light armor. (5/10+2/15+2)
- Divine Heal (9) - Recovers one's HP. (28+3/32+3/36+3)
- Power Strike (9) - Extra Damage on target. Sword/Blunt only. Over-hit available. (5+3/10+3/15+3)
- Weapon Mastery (3) - Attack power increases. (5/10/15)
Naturally, the Dark Avenger tries to get the best one-handed sword or blunt and shield of the level.
C-grade: Samurai Longsword / Yaksa Mace, B-Grade: Sword of Damascus / Art of Battle Axe / Deadman's Glory, A-Grade: Dark Legion's Edge / Elysian Axe.
On c-grade, the full plate armor gives another nice bonus to the shield skills. On b-grade, the Avadon and Doom Sets are even much better. The boni of the a-grade Dark Crystal set on shields is amusingly less good, but the improved p.def and good immunities make up for this.
Dark Avengers need the following spellbooks: Level 40: Life Scavenge, Reflect Damage, Summon Dark Panther; Level 43: Hamstring, Iron Will; Level 46: Corpse Plague, Horror.
Tanks are obviously quite easy to solo. In the case of the Dark Avenger, he can even gain support from a summon.
Inside groups, they activate their Hate Aura and keep mobs attacking them instead of the damage dealers.
Best group for a tank is of course a mix of buffers, a large number of damage dealers and nukers, and maybe a healer. Best buffer for the tank himself is a Prophet who avoids buffing 'Berserker Spirit' to the tank, plus an Elven Elder - because of their Agility buff, but they can also give mana and healing and raise almost as good as a Bishop - and a Swordsinger. Of course the other party members will prefer other buffer classes which optimize offense instead of defense. Most anoying for the tank is probably an Overlord because they buff Berzerker Spirit - on everyone of the alliance, so you don't even have to be in party with the Overlord to receive this buff.