One upgrade for either X or Zero is hidden in each of the main eight stages.
- X's upgrades:
- Body Upgrade: hidden in L. Octopus' stage; reduces damage and allows to unleash the "Giga Crush".
- Legs upgrade: hidden in V. Catfish's stage; allows X to perform mid-air dashes and to break some walls.
- Head upgrade: hidden in N. Tiger's stage; useful to obtain X's Arms Upgrade, necessary to obtain the Shotokan; X's "Fire Wave" required.
- Arms Upgrade: hidden in F. Mammoth's stage; allows to super-charge the X-Buster and to charge any special weapon; either X's or Zero's Legs & Head Upgrades required.
- Shotokan Upgrade: hidden in Berkana's stage; allows to perform Hadouken and Shouryuken; all four X's upgrades are required.
- Zero's upgrades:
- Leg Crush: hidden in W. Sponge's stage; useful in Extreme Mode only.
- Head Crush: hidden in O. Ostrich's stage; useful in Extreme Mode only.
- Zero Final: hidden in T. Rhino's stage; it allows to perform a powerful attack; W. Sponge's "Lightning" required.
- Defense Upgrade: hidden in B. Hornet's stage; it reduces suffered damage by half; T. Rhino's "Drill Crush" required.
One Heart-tank is hidden in each of the main eight stages. The heart increases the maximum HP of the character who collects it by two units.
Two sub-tanks are hidden in two of the eight main stages. Collect yellow DNA-souls and energy capsules to fill them up. Select a sub-tank from the menu to refill the character's energy.
- Flame Mammoth's stage (either X's Legs Upgrade or Zero's Leg Crush required)
- Wire sponge's stage
Parts can be acquired in exchange for DNA-souls, the "currency" in this video game. A part is unlocked when the characters collect a given number of DNA-souls. After beating any Maverick boss, including the intro stage boss, the characters gain 200 DNA-souls; smaller amounts of DNA-souls (4, 8 or 12) are randomly dropped by regular enemies.
In the table below, default sorting is by unlock value.
|Part & Description||Price||Unlock||User||Notes|
|Energy Saver: use less power||100||200||comm.||Probably the most important part|
|Bar. Exterder: extended barrier||100||200||comm.|
|Speed Shot: faster shot||100||200||X|
|Super Recover: recover more||200||200||comm.||Only affects regular energy capsules|
|Saber Plus 1: Z-saber +1||200||200||Zero|
|Buster Plus 1: power shot +1||200||400||X|
|Buster Plus 2: power shot +2||200||800||X|
|Ultimate Saber: super slash||800||1000||Zero|
|Ultimate Buster: charged shot||500||1500||X|
|Saber Plus 2: Z-saber +2||500||2000||Zero|
|Hyper Charge: charge quickly||1000||2000||X||It affects X's buster and all X's special weapons|
|Armor: create armor||2000||2000||X||Also "unlocked" by finding four Upgrade Capsules|
|Hyper Dash: powerful move||1000||2500||comm.||Necessary in the battle against Sigma (Extreme Mode)|
|Extreme mode||2000||3000||comm.||Also unlocked by clearing both X and Zero Mission|
|Boss Attack mode||2000||4000||comm.||Also unlocked by clearing Extreme mode|
These items are dropped randomly by destroyed enemies. Energy and weapon capsules come in two sizes: small ones restores two units, large ones restore ten units. Some 1-Ups and large capsules can be found in stages at fixed locations.
Fixed location items list:
- Wire Sponge stage: 1up
- Overdrive Ostrich stage: none
- Blast Hornet stage: none
- Tunnel Rhino stage: E-capsule
- Neon Tiger stage: E-capsule
- Volt Catfish stage: E-capsule
- Launch Octopus stage: E-capsule, W-capsule
- Flame Mammoth stage: E-capsule
The Ride Armors enhance attack power and endurance, but they cannot get through narrow passages. The Hover Bike areas are played as a scrolling shooter game.
- Overdrive Ostrich stage: Hover Bike
- Tunnel Rhino stage: Ride Armor
- Neon Tiger stage: Ride Armor