- - Moves Snake around. The further you move the stick, the faster Snake moves. Keep in mind that running will make more noise than walking. Snake can now walk or run while crouched. While laying prone, this will cause Snake to crawl. Again, the faster you move, the more easily the enemies will be able to see you. Move slowly to avoid detection.
- - Rotates the camera.
- - Center the camera behind Snake.
- - Zoom in when using the Solid Eye's Binos mode, or the camera, or a weapon with a scope.
- - Zoom out when using the Solid Eye's Binos mode, or the camera, or a weapon with a scope.
- - Crouches/stands up. Press while running to perform a roll.
- - Goes immediately to prone position or back to standing.
- - Reloads your current weapon.
- - Switch between auto and manual aim.
- - Your all-purpose Action button. Performs various actions such as pressing against walls, climbing onto small ledges, climbing ladders, hanging from edges, opening lockers, getting into dumpsters, using mounted weapons, and more.
- - Draw your current weapon.
- - Attack. When no weapon is drawn, performs CQC attacks.
- - Hold to open the Item Menu. Press to equip/unequip the last item you had out.
- - Hold to open the Weapon Menu. Press to equip/unequip the last weapon you had out.
- - Pause the game, opens the menu screen.
- - Display control descriptions. Can optionally be switched to use the Codec instead.
- - Aim weapon.
- - When in the over-the-shoulder view, switch the camera to look over the other shoulder.
- - Fire.
- - Toggle first-person view.
- - Reload.
- + - Forward roll.
- ( or )+ - Sideways roll.
- + - Jump back.
Snake can only use CQC techniques when equipped with a CQC-compatible weapon, or no weapon at all. CQC-compatible weapons are labeled with a "CQC" mark on their icon.
- Basic attack: Tap when near someone to hit them. Press repeatedly for combo attacks.
- Throw: Hold in any direction and tap when near someone to grab and throw them to the ground.
- Grab: Hold when near someone to grab and hold them. You cannot hold someone while equipped with a two-handed weapon.
- Disarm: Press to grab someone, and just as Snake grabs them, tap again to knock their weapon away.
- Choke: While holding someone, press hard for a couple of seconds to choke them. This knocks them out.
- Throw: While holding someone, release , then quickly hold in any direction and press again to throw them to the ground. Do this from a crouching position and Snake will hold them down.
- Cut throat/Use syringe: While holding someone, press to cut their throat with your knife. Or, if a syringe is equipped, Snake will inject them with it instead.
- Use as shield: When holding someone, press and hold to draw your weapon, then release . Snake will continue to hold the person, using them as a human shield, while using his weapon. You can then press to fire.
- Drag: While holding someone, use to move around, dragging them with you. Note that you cannot move forwards while holding someone.