Petalburg Woods is home to many bug type Pokemon, so bring some flying type pokémon, like Taillow or Wingull. Here is also a good place to level your Torchic, so that it becomes a Combusken before the first gym. Bring some potions, as the forest is full of pokémon. If you have not chosen Trecko as your starter, catch a Shroomish. Shroomish has some nice attacks, and can be very useful in the next town. Slakoth also appears in these grasses, but its moveset is very bad, so use Zigzagoon instead. There are many hidden items here, do not forget to look for them.
A Team Grunt Attack
Eventually, you will see a man who is looking for a Shroomish. After he talk to you, a Team Grunt appears and attacks him. You will have to rescue the man by defeating the guy attacking him.
|Sapphire and Emerald
||Team Aqua Grunt
Once defeated, the Team Magma/Aqua grunt will run away, and the man will thank you gratefully and reward you with a Great Ball.
Head to Route 104 (North).
The second area of the forest
Come back after having obtained the HM Cut to access the rest of the forest. A girl will give you a Miracle Seed, an item that when held by a Pokemon, increases the power of grass type moves. If you have a Shroomish/Breloom or a Seedot, give this to him. You can also find a Great Ball and an X Attack. Also try to find two hidden TinyMushroom in this area.
Trainers and Items
|Ruby and Sapphire
||Bug Catcher James
- Paralyz Heal - near the bottom left patch of grass
- Ether - To the left of the northern exit
- Potion - hidden in grass to the right of the entrance
- Great Ball - received from the Devon Corporation worker, after defeating the Team Magma(R)/Team Aqua(S/E) Grunt
- Poké Ball - hidden in the middle most left grass area
- Tinymushroom - hidden in the north-central area, in a break in the trees (requires Cut)
- Tinymushroom - hidden in the southeast area, accessed by jumping the east-central ledge (requires Cut)
- Miracle Seed - from a girl in the northeast part of the woods (requires Cut)
- Great Ball - on the ledge in the northeast corner (requires Cut)
- X Attack - southeast area, accessed by jumping the east-central ledge (requires Cut)
||Bug Catcher James
New Pokémon info
| This is the second Grass Pokémon that you'll find in the game, reminiscent of Oddish and Bellsprout from Firered and Leafgreen and the Red and Blue Versions, but this guy takes its roots more from Oddish. It starts off with Absorb and learns Tackle at level 4. However, when it Evolves at level 23 into a Breloom it becomes a Grass/Fighter Pokemon. Breloom learns good fighting moves later on. So it is a better middle to late game pokemon than an early game Pokemon. You may however, want to keep it on your team, if you don't have a Treecko as your starter. This is also the only area in the game where you can catch one.
|| This is another Normal Pokemon that you'll find only here in Petalburg Woods, it also only moves every other turn and doesn't learn any good Normal moves. It however can learn HM01 Cut, HM04 Strength, and HM06 Rock Smash so you may want to use it as an HM pokemon. But for any Normal pokemon right now go with Zigzagoon instead of Slakoth.