Since Quake is the first "modern" FPS that supported a true 3D environment, you may expect to jump in without problem. However, the default configuration is outdated compared to modern games.
When launching quake, you are first shown a console printing text before switching to a demo loop. To reach the main menu, press. After configuring Quake to your preferences, you can start a new game through the Single Player menu.
Quake and it's expansions provide three difficulty levels, available from the main start area, and a fourth difficulty level that's harder to find:
- Easy: Monsters are less common.
- Normal: Monsters appear normally.
- Hard: Monsters are more common. The entrance to this portal is slightly hazardous, but unobstructed.
- Nightmare: The entrance is hidden. Same monster quantity as hard, but:
- Monsters don't go into pain more than once every five seconds.
- Monsters attack more frequently, and may even do continuous attacks.
- The grunt fires shots in pairs.
- The shambler's lightning attack inflicts 10 more damage.
- The vore's projectiles are 40% faster.