The Dark Fortress
In order to complete the game, you must direct the bodies that you possess throughout the fortress in an effort to enter each of the six dungeons. Other than the first dungeon which is unlocked immediately, you must collect an idol from one dungeon to unlock the next dungeon. In addition, each body is best suited for fighting against a particular guardian of each idol.
The map below is presented to give you an overview of how different sections of the fortress are connected together, and how you can traverse from one dungeon entrance to another. You begin in the lower left corner of the fortress map (next to dungeon entrance 5). See the flow of the game below the map to learn how to proceed through the game.
The dungeons can only be completed in a particular order since the idol obtained at the end of one dungeon serves as the key to the entrance of the next dungeon. However, the bodies can be possessed at any time when you defeat them. Even if you claim possession over one body, when you enter a dungeon and return to the fortress, all previously defeated bodies return to life. Since each body is best suited for a particular idol guardian, the most optimal approach to the game is as follows:
- Start in the lower left corner as a Blade Army soldier and climb your way up the left side of the fortress to dungeon entrance 1.
- Defeat the guardian of the DATT idol and return to the fortress.
- Work your way across the top of the fortress to the right side, stopping along the way at point A to battle the Fighter and take possession of its body.
- Collect a power-up item, and proceed to dungeon entrance 2 in the upper right corner.
- Defeat the guardian of the ASOK idol and return to the fortress.
- Return to the left and visit point B to battle the Gunner and take possession of its body.
- Collect reinforced bullets, and work your way down along the right side of the fortress to dungeon entrance 3.
- Defeat the guardian of the LARNUA idol and return to the fortress.
- Vist the room to the left at point C to battle the Magician and take possession of its body.
- Collect three magic book items, and work your way towards the center of the fortress to dungeon entrance 4.
- Defeat the guardian of the LAHRO idol and return to the fortress.
- Visit the room at point D to battle the Armor and take possession of its body.
- Collect eight sword items and return to the starting location of the game to access dungeon entrance 5.
- Defeat the guardian of the YAROVI idol and return to the fortress.
- Arrive at the location in the fortress above dungeon entrance 6 and fall through the false floor, pushing left along the wall as you fall to reach the dungeon entrance.
- Access the final dungeon, and defeat the Holy Soldier to take possession of its body, and proceed to beat the game.