- : Use the direction pad to navigate through the various commands and menus presented in the upper right corner of the screen.
- : Press the A button to select a command or menu option.
- : Press the B button to cancel out of a particular menu.
- : Press the Start button at the main menu screen to select whether to start a new game, or to continue a saved game.
- : Press the Select button to choose between the two options on the main menu screen.
You control the main character through the game, which you are given the chance to name at the start or a new adventure. He is a powerful warrior sent to defeat Soron, a great evil menace who threatens your homeland. However, he is simply outmatched by Soron's power, and he is rescued at the last moment by a Sage who advises him to seek out a Light Mage and challenge Soron together. You must use your wits to solve many of the mysteries, as well as overcome the challenges that face you in your search for the Light Mage, and the path that returns you to Soron's palace. Although the opportunities are small, it is possible to die in the game by making the wrong choices in combat, so be sure you have the right equipment before you take on any foes.
Saria is a Light Mage, and the one whom you are meant to locate and challenge Soron with. As a Light Mage, Saria is capable of performing a great deal of magic, though without her spell book, you may have a difficult time identifying the purposes of her spells. She is a bit of a prankster and likes to disguise herself from those who might come seeking her help. She is generally good natured, and she possesses great power, but she tends to freeze up with panic when suddenly faced with an enemy that she wasn't expecting.