Byzantium, also known as the Eastern Roman Empire, becoming almost as influential as Rome itself during its peak. Byzantium is led by Theodora, the wife of Justinian I and the Empress of the Byzantine Empire. Byzantium is one of the more flexible civilizations with a strong focus on religion, as its Unique Ability allows for a lot of interesting combinations. Its unique units are similarly well-rounded, decent for any situation.
- Patriarchate of Constantinople - Choose an additional belief when founding a religion.
- Cost: 75 Production / 150 Faith
- Type: Mounted
- Combat Strength: 15
- Movement Points: 3
- Can move after attacking, 25% combat penalty when attacking cities
- Prerequisites: 1 Horse, Horseback Riding technology
- Obsolete with: Chivalry technology
- Upgrades to: Knight
- Replaces Horseman
- Higher combat strength, lower movement points, can gain defensive bonuses, reduced penalty from attacking cities.
- Cost: 56 Production
- Type: Naval Ranged
- Combat Strength: 8
- Ranged Combat Strength: 10
- Range: 2
- Movement: 4
- Cannot enter deep ocean, bonus damage against naval units
- Prequisites: Sailing technology
- Obsolete with: Astronomy technology
- Upgrades to: Galleass
- Replaces Trireme
- Higher cost, reduced defensive Combat Strength, gains ranged attack.