- Yoke: Use the yoke to steer the car left and right just as you would with any real car; in MAME, the yoke is replicated by the left and right arrow keys.
- Gas Pedal: Step upon the gas pedal, to accelerate the car; in MAME, this is replicated by the left Ctrl, but you may want to change it to the up arrow.
- Gear Shifter: Use the three-gear shifter to change the gear your car is driving in when its RPMs are high; in MAME, this is replicated by Z, X, and C.
- Machine Guns: Use this button to make your car fire its machine guns; in MAME, it is also replicated by the left Ctrl, meaning one must be changed.
- Oil/Bomb: When you have either of these, use this button to make the car fire a slick of oil or bomb over it; in MAME, this is replicated by the left Alt.
- Missiles: When you have this special weapon, use this button to make the car fire a missile into the air; in MAME, this is replicated by the Spacebar.
- Slash/Flame: When you have either of these, use this button to make blades or flames emerge from the car's back wheels; in MAME, it is replicated by the left Shift. This game also has two start buttons, to begin the game as player 1 or player 2 - but in MAME, some of 2P's buttons aren't mapped.
These white and yellow sports cars are the protagonists of the game; the first player controls the white one upon the left, while the second player controls that yellow one on the right. If either player's car is in the other one's field of vision, it will appear on the other side of the screen as well as their own - and they do not possess the power to injure each other with their weaponry. However, if either of the cars gets shot by a Cycle Sniper, a bullet hole will appear, on their side of the screen; if either of them should be shot three times, they will burst into flames and die (a hit from a Molotov cocktail thrown by a Molotov Maniac, a batch of dynamite dropped by a Pyro Gyro, or a Semi Surprise will also kill them instantly). The screen shall then cut to a shot of the resurrected car in the back of the Weapons Truck, as its driver opens the window separating the back compartment from the front, and says one of three phrases - "CAREFUL!", "DON'T DRIVE DRUNK!", or "TAKE IT EASY!" - and at the start of the game, there will be a timer in the top-left of both sides of the screen counting down from 449 (at a rate which depends on whether it is set for 30, 45, 60 or 90 seconds), during which time the players shall have infinite lives. However, once the timers have run out, they will lose a life every time their car explodes, just like in the original Spy Hunter; they will also receive extra lives at 20000, 75000 and 200000 points.
At the start of the game, the text "THE MISSION: TO ESCORT THE COURIER SAFELY TO ALL MOBILE WEAPON UNITS" will appear on both sides of the screen; she stays ahead of the players at all times, and they again do not possess the power to injure her with their weaponry. Once she has reached a Weapons Truck, she shall disappear inside - and if you follow her in, the screen will cut to a shot of her in the back of it as the text of "COURIER SAFE BONUS" appears at the top the screen and you receive 5000 extra points. It is also worth noting that she shall either be holding an oil hose, a mortar, a missile, a knife, or a cigarette lighter, as she disappears off the bottom of the screen; the text of "Weapon Awarded" shall then appear at the top of the screen, as she comes back up into view again (with her right thumb up), and the screen cuts back to the (continued) action.
There are six types of enemy agents referred to during the game's attract mode (which continues to play on the inactive screen side, if only one player is present): Cycle Snipers are worth 500 points, while Lane Hogs are worth 1000 points, and have Molotov Maniacs (worth 3000 points) as passengers; Greaseballs are also worth 2000 points, while the airborne Pyro Gyros are worth 4000 points, and the undriven Semi Surprises are worth 5000 points.
As mentioned above, once the Courier has reached a Weapons Truck, she shall disappear inside; if you follow her in, the screen shall cut to a shot of her in the back of it as the text of "COURIER SAFE BONUS" appears at the top the screen and you receive 5000 extra points. It is also worth noting that she will either be holding an oil hose, a mortar, a missile, a knife, or a cigarette lighter as she disappears off the bottom of the screen - and the text "Weapon Awarded" will then appear up at the top of the screen, as she comes back up into view again with her right thumb up and the screen cuts back to the (continued) action. The name of the added weapon will also appear on the heads-up display; "GUNS" will always be there by default, but "OIL", "BOMB", "MISSLE", "SLASH", and "FLAME" will show as you receive them.