- Joystick or Direction Pad: Use the joystick or direction pad to direct your spy in four different directions. You can run left or right by pushing the stick or pad in either direction. When you press up, you run "upstage" (away from the player), and you run "downstage" (toward the player) when you hold down. You can also initiate climbing up a ladder by holding up when you stand in front of one. To climb down the ladder, you must simply walk over the hole where the ladder connects through the floor.
- Fire button: The fire button has many uses.
- Press it in front of a door to open or close the door. Press it in front of a ladder to raise or lower the ladder. Press it in front of a ladder hatch to uncover or cover the hatch with a rug.
- Press it in front of an object (such as a TV, dresser, or coat stand) to examine the object. If any useable object is contained within, you will grab hold of it. Press the button while holding an object to release it. If it was not a tool, but one of the necessary items to complete the game, it will be contained inside one random object in the room.
- Press the button twice to activate your Trapulator device and call upon the selection arrow. Move the arrow to something, and press the button once more to activate your selection. If you selected any other trap than the time bomb, you must properly set the trap by pressing the button near objects that the trap can be used on.
- When you and the enemy spy occupy the same room, you may not do any of the above. However, pressing the button will allow you to draw your baton, which you can use to smash your opponent. To hit your opponent, you must keep the button pressed, and push the joystick left and right to hit the opponent in the gut, or up and down to bash the opponent over the head.
- When attempting to manipulate an object, you must stand close enough to it that you see your screen blink or flash, accompanied by a small tone indicating that you are standing close enough to it.
Each spy has the exact same mission. There are four items which are vital to your side's cause. They are hidden inside of an embassy. You must locate every one of them, along with the briefcase needed to hold them all, and escape through the door to the airport with all of the items before your opponent does. You will have to run from room to room throughout the embassies, some of which have more than one floor, searching for the four special items. However, without the briefcase, you can only hold one item at a time, so the briefcase is vital! Don't try to leave the embassy before you have everything, or the airport security guard will shove you back inside. Should the opponent get their hands on something you need, you have two choices: face them in hand to hand combat, or set a trap for them and knock them out of the game temporarily. But remember, you can also trip the traps that you set. And since both players' action are on the screen at the same time, your enemy might be spying on you! Use the map to get a feel for the layout of the embassy and where the items may be. The clock is ticking as soon as the game starts, and the plane will take off without you if you're not ready in time, so get going!
Before you start, there are a number of selections that you can make regarding the complexity of the game. Not all versions will have exactly the same set of selections. The following are the most common:
|Players||You can play a single player game against the computer, or you can play head to head with a friend.|
|Difficulty Level||This is where you select the complexity of the embassy that you must search through and the allotment of time. The lowest level has just one floor and 6 rooms and must be cleared in 7 minutes. The highest level has 36 rooms spread out across two floors, but you are given 24 minutes to complete your mission.|
|Computer IQ||The Computer IQ can be set to any value from 1 to 5, with 1 being the least smart and 5 being the most smart. The smarter the computer, the better it will be at combat, the quicker it will find the items, and the more it will set traps around the embassy.|
|Hide Airport Until End||This option (on by default) prevent either player from seeing the location of the Airport exit until one player has amassed all four items in the briefcase. If you turn it off, you can see the airport exit in advance, and remember its location when the time comes to leave the embassy.|
In most cases, you can set all of these options with just the joystick, and press the fire button when you are ready to begin.
Winning the game
The only way to win the game is to beat your opponent to airport exit, with all items in the briefcase, and the briefcase in hand, before your time runs out and the plane takes off without you. The four items that you need are:
You can take some time to read the map, but this costs you precious seconds. Fighting with your opponent may not necessarily help you; in fact it may just slow you down. However, whenever your opponent gets knocked out, either by clubbing him unconscious, or if they fall victim to a trap (yours or his), they are removed from play temporarily. This is your opportunity to get the jump on him, and run freely through the embassy without fear of running into him. Be careful though, as any traps you or he may have set are still active. All traps except for the time bomb can be dismantled or foiled if you are carrying the proper tools. You can even use this time to set new traps, but remember that your opponent's ever watchful eye can see everything you do… and vice versa. Combat, setting traps, and reading the map are discussed in the Walkthrough.