Gold Medal strategy
- Difficulty: 5/10
- Recommended Craft: X-Wing
The basic idea of this mission is that you have to stay close to the Falcon. If it gets too far away, it will automatically be destroyed.
Keep your S-Foils open and take out the first group of ships take flies over, and the second. By now the Falcons fairly far away, so close your S-Foils to catch up. Open them again to destroy the 3rd wave. Close them again to get close, then open them again to destroy the 4th. At this time you'll be near the core entrance. While flying over the surface you also need to destroy 4 guns to get the necessary kill requirement.
Once inside, waste the 3 fighters attacking the Falcon as soon as possible. Close your S-Foils until you get close, and open them to waste the guys tailing you. Repeat this process until you get to the core. Take out the power regulator, and fly out. Keep your S-Foils closed the whole time, but slow down on all the turns. If you get a chance, go ahead and just pass the Falcon. The mission will automatically end when you get to the exit. The medal for this level itself isn't all that hard to get, it's the difficulty of the entire level.
Jason Conner (firstname.lastname@example.org) has an alternate method:
- On the strike at the core mission, after you have entered the death star, shoot the ties immediately in front of you, and boost PAST the falcon. Yes, fly right past it and don't look back. Make sure to stay ahead of it the whole way through. the falcon will NOT get shot down (for some reason). as soon as you get to the core room, hit the breaks, and HIT THE DECK. the falcon will fly overhead, as well as a PANTLOAD of ties. however, they stay in a pretty tight group so it will take you all of 5 seconds to waste them all. the just shoot the reactor and haul ass.
Gold Medal Requirements
- Time: 5:05
- Enemies: 41
- Accuracy: 32%
- Friendlies Lost: 0
- Lives Lost: 1
- Targeting Computer Efficiency: 95%
Scott Blanchard (email@example.com) sends in his accuracy boosting tips:
- I've found 2 things that help a lot, in fact, my accuracy was 84% when i won gold (required for gold was only 32%). 1) take out more guns than necessary in the first part. after each set of ties is shot down, take the time to knock out 3-4 guns each time. you can't miss them, and they add to your kill count, too. 2) once you're in the death star, you would have to play really stupid to get Han shot down. use the extra time you have to fly right up on every single tie fighter, and only shoot when you have him right in front of you. with any luck or skill, you shouldn't miss a single shot while in the death star.
- Close your S-Foils to stay close to the Falcon.
- Remember to kill 4 surface turrets.
- The Power Regulator only takes 1 torpedo or 1 Quad Blast.
- Keep your S-Foils closed the entire time during the escape. Just slow down on turns and speed up on straights.
- Pass the Falcon and get out as soon as possible if you get a chance.