From StrategyWiki, the video game walkthrough and strategy guide wiki
Yoshi's Island 3
|Entrance||Yoshi's Island 2|
|Exit||Yoshi's Island 4|
|Time at Start||300|
Yoshi's Island 3 is the third level on Yoshi's Island.
- This level will be much easier if you completed the Yellow Switch Palace and activated the yellow switch blocks. They will block most of the pits in this level, preventing you from falling down.
- The wooden platform swings around depending on where on the platform Mario is standing. When it's at the very right do a swift jump to safety to the right.
- If the yellow switch blocks are there, you can get two mushrooms here: one is past the first wooden platform, from there fall down the pit and you'll be able to get another mushroom. If not, you'll have to do without these, but you'll get an opportunity to snag a power-up later in this level.
- The turn blocks you see here expand and contract horizontally. You'll need to predict their movements correctly so you don't fall down into the abyss. With the yellow switch blocks, this level will be much more forgiving.
- The second ? block from the group of two ? blocks has Yoshi if you don't have him, or a 1-up mushroom if you do.
- The platforms you find here move back and forth - the first one from left to right, the second one from top to bottom. Use these to cross the pit safely.
- After the lone Koopa Troopa, fall down the pit to discover a yellow pipe which leads to a bonus area (pictured at the right). Use the P-Switch here to turn the coins into blocks, forming a bridge that allows you to safely cross the lava pit and grab the Dragon Coin found here. You'll return at the red pipe before the midway gate.
- If you chose to not go through the bonus area, you'll have to jump from one wooden platform to the next to cross the pit, which is a tricky maneuver. Take your time and carefully jump across.
- The lone ? block offers a flower, a much-needed upgrade especially for players who don't have the yellow switch blocks to aid them.
- After the next wooden platform, you'll find turn blocks that alternate between expanding and contracting vertically and horizontally. Anticipate which way they're going next to cross the pit safely.
- If you have collected 30 coins in this level, the green star block will give you a 1-up mushroom as a reward. It's difficult to do this, and only recommended if you're an experienced player.
Dragon Coin locations
The five Dragon Coins in this level are located as follows:
- Above the first set of turn blocks.
- Inside the bonus area, past the lava pit.
- Next to the midway gate.
- At the end of the second set of turn blocks.
- Just before the end of the level, hovering above the last pit.