After the player chooses a name, the game generates the three main attributes (strength, intelligence, luck) at random. The player is the asked to split up each of said three attributes into two secondary attributes.
On the next screen, the game gives 2 extra points to a random attribute, then the player is asked to distribute 6 more points as he or she wishes.
The hero can recruit characters from nine different classes. A high charisma (charm) makes recruitment easier, otherwise a character may ask 250 Ducats (the currency in Tera) or simply refuse to join.
When a new game is generated, one potential party member per class is created. Each character has:
- fixed starting skill(s) and starting equipment; attribute linked to the main skill always equal to 9;
- name and home location from a limited pool (see table below);
- random numeric attributes, including health and magic points, but excluding the aforementioned main skill attribute.
In order to see attributes, skills and equipment of your party members, Press H (halte = stop) then S (sonder = scan) for a mind scan. Success rate of this action depends on the hero's mind power (volonté).
In battle, each character should fight using his or her specific skills, otherwise he or she will invariably miss.
- EXAMPLE: de Kerlas is a pilot who comes with a lv.1 shooting skill and equipped with a revolver. In battle, he should attack by shooting ( button). If he attempts to conjure a spell with , he will always miss, because he has no magic skill.
|Warrior||Close combat lv.3
(strength = 9)
|utter = cLose combat||City of Skulls|
(agility = 9)
Close combat lv.1
|utter = cLose combat||?|
(dexterity = 9)
|irer = shooT||?|
|Pilot||Space travel lv.3
(endurance = 9)
|irer = shooT||Spaceport|
|Vestal||Psychic power lv.3
(mind power = 9)
|ttaque mental = mind Attack||Temple of Seth |
Hermitage of Ghouls Rock
(charisma = 9)
Psychic power lv.1
|ttaque mental = mind Attack||Domain of Balgence |
Hamlet of the Door of Sands
(luck = 9)
Psychic power lv.1
ttaque mental = mind Attack |
issiper = Dispel (spirits & demons)
|Sanctuary of Mahalore |
Abbey of Deadfountain
(intelligence = 9)
|eter un sort = conJure a spell||City of Skulls|
(vitality = 9)
eter un sort = conJure a spell |
salmodier = Pray (vs. undead & demons)
|City of Skulls|
- Basic combat skills:
- Lutte (cLose combat):
- Tir (shooT):
- Combat skills requiring mind points (MP):
- Pouvoir psy (psychic power, mind Attack):
- Magie (magic, conJure spells):
- Exorcisme (exorcism, Dispel): an attack effective against spirits and demons only.
- Incantation (enchantment, Pray): an attack effective against undead and demons only.
- Field skills:
- Négociation (negociation): bonus to recruitment.
- Astronaute (space travel): lower chance to get attacked by the space pirates of Shaam.
- Système débrouillage (resorcefulness): bonus to disarm traps and open chests.
When characters earn sufficient experience (a hidden statistic), they will be promoted to a higher level. All the party levels-up at the same time. The total amount of life points (PV, points de vie) and mind points (PM, pouvoir mental) remains constant, but each character earns one level in any one skill from any character in the party!