Quick Area 0 Detour
- X10 Y10
- If you picked up the Hyper Laser upgrade in Area 0 for 300 chips, then you may remember passing up the Repeller upgrade for 500 chips. You should be able to afford it now, so return to the location of the shop, and purchase the weapon. It will provide you with a more effective weapon that slowly cruises up the screen, causing a lot of damage, and it won't run out like the Fireball or Area Blaster.
- Start - X16 Y11
- Area 0. If you visit X13 Y15, it will tell you to shoot a special weapon anywhere in the room. Any special weapon that consumes Chips will work actually, even the Saber Laser. The key is that your Chip count has to go down inside the room in order for the door to open. There's little reason to wait unless you'd rather explore the rest of the area and collect power ups first. If you clear the area, you will earn an Area Blaster upgrade. It's not at full power yet, but it uses considerably fewer chips per shot than it will at Level 3.
This corridor starts out with green asteroids and spinning orange diamonds. They are eventually joined with circular asteroids and a volcano. After the first volcano, the asteroids will stop, but the diamonds continue. More volcanoes pass below, spewing little green crystals. Use the Wave Attack to effectively clear a path through them, and potentially stop the volcanoes entirely. A group of blue orbs will appear near the top of the screen. A set of large blue tracking crystals will materialize while you continue to fly over volcanoes. After the blue crystals, the smaller orange crystals begin to appear in their place.
When the orange diamonds return, you will have to fly over pairs of volcanoes which will make it impossible for you to attack the crystals coming out of both. Attack one, and do your best to protect yourself from the remainder. Activate the Bullet Shield for some additional protection. Blue orbs will fall down as the volcanoes thin out. Than blue crystals will start materializing again as another volcano pair appears. Small orange crystal follow. The valley on the bottom of the corridor will widen, and orange diamonds appear over more volcanoes. A set of blue orbs will appear near the top, but they will hardly make it down to the middle of the screen before being removed in preparation for the boss.
The boss of this corridor is known as a Glider, and it is the smallest boss in the game. Appearing as a small winged mechanical creature, it loops around the screen impervious to any attack until it holds still in one place, flaps its wings, and shoots missiles at you. This is the only time you may damage it with your weapons. Since it holds still to attack, you can conceivably use your Saber Laser against it, but the Fireball or Wave Attack are equally effective and don't put you at risk of colliding with the boss when it starts flying around the screen again. Collision with the boss can be quite damaging. Nevertheless, the missiles it sends won't really overwhelm you. The biggest concern is getting out of its way when it crosses the bottom of the screen.
Defeat the boss and you will earn a new key. This key can actually be used to cross between Area 6 and Area 7 as well as another shop between Area 6 and Area 0. You will also receive the Area Blaster upgrade when you return.
Return to Area 6
- X18 Y11
- When you arrive in this empty room, investigate the path to the south first.
- X18 Y12
- X18 Y10
- X20 Y11
- Remove the large group of bouncing balls in this room and ignore the arrow pointing south. Investigate the room to the north first.
- X20 Y10
- X20 Y13
- When you first encounter the red barrier that divides part of the area, explore the room to the right first.
- X21 Y13
- X19 Y13
- Not one, but two sets of ice blocks will quickly multiply here. Get around to the lower side of the barrier and follow the path that it takes.
- X19 Y15
- When you reach this room, stop following the barrier around, as it leads to nothing useful. Instead, investigate the path to the west, past the following room with the upward arrow, until you reach a mini-boss.
- X17 Y16
- X18 Y14
- Shoot the door above to reach the entrance to Corridor 16.
- X18 Y13
- Area 0, the this upgrade will increase your Back Fire weapon to its maximum Level 3.
A new enemy will greet you at the entrance to this corridor. A bouncing laser-shooting robot will appear in a lower corner. It will fire lasers constantly as it bounces slightly higher to the top of the screen. Be careful taking this enemy out as the lasers are very damaging. A few pterodactyls will appear down the middle before a circle of asteroids appear. Green asteroids appear for a while, followed by exploding particle plants. Use a special weapon that will protect you from the shower of particles, like Repeller or Fireball.
Blue ships are accompanied by green asteroids. This very quickly changes to the materialization of both the larger slower blue crystals, and the smaller faster orange crystals. A single bullet showering ship will appear before a set of more particle plants. Green starfish and blue orbs will appear next, and it appears that they are intended to appear throughout the last section of the corridor, but a bug seems to prevent as many from appearing as should, so you get an easy ride to the boss.
It's just as well, because the boss of this corridor is a very unwelcome sight: a Red Optomom. While this Optomon will not shoot fast seaweed, it releases even longer strands of seaweed that do much more damage, and the bullets do more damage as well.
However, if you have a Level 2 Fireball, this fight is much easier to handle. The Level 2 fireball will not only destroy the bullets, but will destroy the seaweed! Immediately switch to this weapon, and pick a side to wait on. As the Optomom approaches your side of the screen, shoot the Fireball upward. It will make its way up the screen and destroy any strands of seaweed that the Optomom is in the process of making, in addition to dealing damage to the eyeball. If you do not have the powered up Fireball, you'll have to use the same strategies against it that you used to defeat the Blue Optomom; thankfully, you have a lot more powerups to deal with the bullets while doing more damage.
If you decide to get to this corridor late and get the Level 3 Grenades, it should also destroy the seaweed and the bullets.
Your reward for winning the fight will be an upgrade to the Back Sider weapon. From here, you can exit through the left door and follow the path north.