In Ultima 5: Warriors of Destiny you control a hero and a team of six adventurers in a quest across the fantasy world of Britannia. During the game, the party members can progressively acquire several weapons and armors, but also many other items and a wide array of spells.
Ultima 5 is a role-playing video game. Specifically, it belongs to the sub-genre of American-style RPVGs.
Three aspects that can define the genre of RPGs are listed here, and they apply to Ultima 5 as well:
- Text is an essential part of the game, and the characters have to talk and interact with non-evil characters to proceed in the adventure;
- There are permanent upgrades, in the form of enhancements of the various attributes of the characters (attack, strength, magic etc.);
- There is freedom of exploration, all the areas are connected by an "overworld", and areas that have been previously cleared can usually be re-visited; in other words, the game is non-linear.
Japanese-style RPVGs focus more on the plot, while American-style RPVGs like Ultima 5 focus more on exploration and "body-building" of the characters. Nevertheless, all three aspects are present in every RPG.
- This section is a stub. Help us , and you get a cookie.
- Ultima 4 and Ultima 6, that together with Ultima 5 constitute the Age of Enlightment trilogy;
- Ultima 3, Ultima 7 and Ultima 7 Part 2, where the player still controls a team of heroes.