Brief overview: one core feature of the Xbox 360 makeover is the new ingame achievements system that earns you Gamer Points. Implementing them in guides in way that is unobtrusive for those who don't care yet easy to understand for those that do is a top priority.
Feel free to add your comments or even alternate examples, but remember to sign your comments (~~~~) so we know who said what.
Example 1: Advancing By Degrees (illustration unfinished)
- Swirling backdrop (unfinished) heavily alludes to the 360 boxart so is instantly recognisable to 360 owners... but falls short of getting us sued. ;)
- Arrows (maybe not a permanent feature) allude to 360 degrees as well as the player moving from the beginning to 100% completion and then starting again.
- BIG PRINT numbers for easy reading at a glance
- Universal and familiar symbol throughout all guides
- only seen on StrategyWiki thus becoming part of our overall feel
- Numbers must be manually added for each score amount (either that or some really complex CSS with doubtful compatibility)
- White background virtually required meaning sidebar doesn't stand out as much
perhaps replace "achievement" with "Gamer" to cut down on text clutter? Problem is, will the reader realise the top and bottom words are part of a phrase in which the number comes first?
Alternately, remove the top line altogether and just rely on the description below to indicate what these "points" are?
Example 2: Mean Green Gaming Machine
- Contrasts with StrategyWiki's main theme and especially with the normal Template:sidebar (which will likely be used right alongside it).
- actual ingame icon shown allowing for instant recognition.
- Needs something more.
- Requires all the icons being uploaded, potentially weakening fair use claims.
- Superimposing score value over top of icon? This would improve visibility and reduce the sidebar's size but increase the chance of the reader confusing similar icons based on what's left visible of the icon.
Example 2A: Mean Green Gaming Machine, Gearshift
- Sidebar can be smaller
- larger numbers at no cost to sidebar size
- Less room for lengthy achievement name
- Doesn't look so balanced
- Perhaps use a border and different colour backing for the invisible inset
Example 2B: Mean Green Gaming Machine, Top Gear
- Nice contrast between the icon and its explanation
- The contrast helps alleviate the lack of balance from before
- Same as before
- Maybe a different background colour, grey or light green perhaps?
Example 2C: Mean Green Gaming Machine, Bottom Gear
- BIG PRINT for easy skim-reading
- The numbers would be more central, naturally