Each Hero can carry up to 6 items (other than a sword, axe, wand, and those kinds of things). These items fall into several categories:
- Items that the Hero can use to give him a permanent increase in one or more of his stats; usually called "tomes";
- Items that the Hero can use to give him an immediate increase in one or more of his stats; potions;
- Items that the Hero can use to give several friendly units an immediate increase in one or more of their stats; scrolls;
- Items that the Hero can use to provide a specific effect other than the above;
- Items that have an effect on the Hero and possibly nearby friendly units while carried;
- Special quest-related items.
These items can be found in various places:
- Just lying around the map, but usually inside an object;
- Dropped by neutral or enemy units when they die;
- For sale in certain shops;
- Obtained during quests.
Important: Most often you will pick up items by selecting a hero and then pressing . Sometimes items are hidden inside objects that must be destroyed to reveal the item, and sometimes you have to force-attack those objects. You should be aware that if you accidentally attack an item it is destroyed. In some versions, it takes two hits.