You pilot the Zanac, the only ship designed with the capability to thwart the System. The Zanac is a very maneuverable fighter, with an intelligence system that determines the optimal speed to fly through any section. As a result, while you have control over the ships relative position on the screen, you do not have control over the general speed at which it travels across the terrain. The Zanac is outfitted with two separate weapons systems. The first is the standard gun system which you never lose. It can be upgraded a number of ways, but primarily by collecting Power Chips contained in Boxes. The second system is a modular special weapon system that can swap out one special weapon whenever you collect another type of special weapon. Alternatively, you can upgrade particular special weapons by continuing to collect the same special weapon that you currently have. Special weapons appear as 8 different tiles with the numbers 0 through 7 printed on them. The Zanac ship cannot sustain direct contact with an enemy craft, or with an enemy bullet. If the ship comes in contact with either, it will immediately explode. Extra ships can be earned continuously throughout the game as you reach certain score levels.
- : Use the direction pad to control the position of your ship on the screen. You can move in eight different directions, throughout most of the visible screen.
- : Press A to fire your Special Weapon.
- : Press B to fire your standard guns.
- : Press the Start button to begin a new game, and pause or unpause the action in the middle of the game.
- : Not used, except on the main title screen to choose between Game Start and Continue.