Castlevania is one of Konami's longest running series, with games from the NES to the PS2. The series (normally) revolves around the Belmont family and their eternal mission of defeating Dracula whenever he reappears, with occasional help from the Belnades clan and Alucard, the son of Dracula.
There are two types of Castlevania games: the traditional level-by-level action games and the newer, so-called, "Metroidvanias", which involves more exploration, item/key collecting, and going through areas multiple times. There is an official chronology that was created several years ago, and involved retconning several plotlines from games, as well as removing four games from the official timeline. Games are not released in chronological order, and several games are direct sequels to previous ones. Most games take place decades or even centuries after the previous entry, but some (Simon's Quest, Curse of Darkness, Dawn of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night, and Castlevania 64) take place a few years later and involve the same characters.
- Akumajou Dracula is the Japanese name for the Castlevania video game series, as it is known as outside Japan. Several games, in Japan, within the series share the Akumajou Dracula name:
- Castlevania, the first game in the series for the NES. It was originally released on the Famicom Disk System, and was also ported to the Commodore 64 and Commodore Amiga.
- Vampire Killer, a game in the series for the MSX2.
- Haunted Castle a game in the series for the Arcade.
- Super Castlevania IV, a game in the series for the SNES.
- Castlevania Chronicles, a game in the series originally released for the Sharp X68000. The original Sharp X68000 version is also officially called Akumajou Dracula X68000.
- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest aka Dracula II: Noroi no Fuuin for the NES.
- Castlevania: The Adventure aka Legend of Dracula for the Game Boy.
- Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse aka Demon Castle Legends for the NES.
- Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge aka Legend of Dracula 2 for the Game Boy.
- Dracula X.
- Castlevania: Bloodlines aka Castlevania: The New Generation for the Sega Genesis.
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night aka Castlevania: Nocturne in the Moonlight for the PS1 and Saturn (Japan only).
- Castlevania Legends for the Game Boy and the Super Game Boy.
- Castlevania 64 aka Castlevania Apocalypse for the Nintendo 64.
- Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness aka Castlevania: The Legend of Cornell for the Nintendo 64.
- Castlevania Chronicles for the PS1.
- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for the GBA.
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance aka Castlevania: Concerto of the Midnight Sun for the GBA.
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow aka Castlevania: Minuet of Dawn for the GBA.
- Castlevania: Lament of Innocence for the PS2.
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow aka Castlevania: Crucifix of the Blue Moon for the Nintendo DS.
- Castlevania: Curse of Darkness for the PS2 and Xbox.
- Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for the Nintendo DS.
The original title of the series is Akumajou Dracula, where Akumajou is Japanese for Devil Castle. Metroidvania is a term referring to 2D video games where the exploration is non-linear; its earliest famous example is the Metroid series, hence the name Metroidvania.
After 2010, the Castlevania series was rebooted. The games are then titled Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (plus number or subtitle) in both the original and localized versions.
|Year||Original title||Localised title||Platform||Notes|
|1986||Devil Castle Dracula||Castlevania||NES|
|1986||Devil Castle Dracula||Vampire Killer||MSX2||Metroidvania|
|1988||Devil Castle Dracula||Haunted Castle||Arcade|
|1993||Devil Castle Dracula||Castlevania Chronicles||X68000, PS1|
|1987||Dracula 2: the Seal of the Curse||Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest||NES||RPG|
|1989||Devil Castle Legends||Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse||NES|
|1989||Legend of Dracula 1||Castlevania: the Adventure||GB, GBC|
|1991||Legend of Dracula 2||Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge||GB, GBC|
|1991||Devil Castle Dracula||Super Castlevania 4||SNES|
|1993||Devil Castle Dracula X: Rondo of Blood||Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles||PC-Engine, PSP|
|1995||Devil Castle Dracula XX||Castlevania: Dracula X
Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss
|1995||Vampire Killer||Castlevania: Bloodlines
Castlevania: the New Generation
|Sega Mega Drive|
|1997||Devil Castle Dracula: Dark Night Prelude||Castlevania Legends||GB, Super GB|
|1997||Devil Castle Dracula: Nocturne in the Moonlight||Castlevania: Symphony of the Night||PS1, Saturn||Metroidvania|
|1999||Devil Castle Dracula Apocalypse||Castlevania 64||Nintendo 64||3D|
|1999||Devil Castle Dracula Apocalypse: Legend of Cornell||Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness||Nintendo 64||3D|
|2001||Devil Castle Dracula: Circle of the Moon||Castlevania: Circle of the Moon||GBA||Metroidvania|
|2002||Castlevania: Concerto of Midnight Sun||Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance||GBA||Metroidvania|
|2003||Castlevania: Minuet of Dawn||Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow||GBA||Metroidvania|
|2003||Castlevania||Castlevania: Lament of Innocence||PS2||3D|
|2005||Devil Castle Dracula: Dark Curse||Castlevania: Curse of Darkness||PS2, Xbox||3D|
|2005||Devil Castle Dracula: Cross of the Blue Moon||Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow||DS||Metroidvania|
|2006||Devil Castle Dracula: Gallery of Labyrinth||Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin||DS||Metroidvania|
|2008||Devil Castle Dracula: the Stolen Seal||Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia||DS||Metroidvania|
|2008||Devil Castle Dracula Judgement||Castlevania Judgement||Wii||Fighting|
|2010||Devil Castle Dracula: Harmony of Despair||Castlevania: Harmony of Despair||PS3, X360||Metroidvania|
- Castlevania: The Bloodletting for the 32X
- Castlevania Resurrection for the Dreamcast
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the Game.com
Heroes and chronological order
- XI Century:
- 1094: Leon Belmont (Lament of Innocence)
- XV Century:
- 1431-1476: Life of the historical Vlad III Dracula, Prince of Wallachia, called "Tepes" (Rumanian for "Impaler") by his enemies.
- 1450: Sonia Belmont (Legends, removed from official chronology: Dracula would have been 19)
- 1476: Trevor Belmont (Dracula's Curse)
- 1479: Trevor Belmont (Curse of Darkness)
- XVI Century:
- XVII Century:
- XVIII Century:
- XIX Century:
- 1800s: Shanoa (Order of Ecclesia)
- 1830: Nathan Graves (Circle of the Moon, removed from official chronology)
- 1844: Reinhardt Schneider, Cornell (Legacy of Darkness, removed from official chronology)
- 1852: Reinhardt Schneider, Carrie Fernandez (Castlevania 64, removed from official chronology)
- 1893: Setting of Brahm Stoker's novel "Dracula".
- XX Century:
- XXI Century:
- Time rift:
Main universe: Castlevania · 2: Simon's Quest · 3: Dracula's Curse · 4: Super Castlevania ·
GB 1: The Adventure · GB 2: Belmont's Revenge · Rondo of Blood · Bloodlines · Symphony of the Night · Harmony of Dissonance ·
Lament of Innocence · Aria of Sorrow · Dawn of Sorrow · Curse of Darkness · Portrait of Ruin · Order of Ecclesia
Pages in category "Castlevania"
The following 34 pages are in this category, out of 34 total.