Welcome to all users! This page is where you can ask StrategyWiki-related questions to the staff and senior community figures, and they will do their best to answer. If you want to raise a topic for discussion (rather than just ask about it), please use theinstead. , with the most recent at the bottom of the page. If your question does not pertain to editing StrategyWiki (e.g. asking for hints or game-specific information), please ask on the guide's talk page or on the forums.
Please review the Table of Contents to see if your issue has already been raised; also check the archives (to the right) in case it was discussed some time ago.
To facilitate ease of browsing and replying, please:
- Place your question at the bottom of the list.
- Title the question (by placing the title between equals signs: ==Title==).
- Sign your name and date (by adding four tildes: ~~~~).
Hi, I am TheFifteenthMember, an editor from the KHWiki. In our recent roundtable meeting, we agreed that SEIWA's status is practically dead and inactive so we proposed that the five members of SEIWA disband and continue on as independent sites. Former SEIWA members can then be linked to each other as affiliates. We'd like to know the Strategy Wiki's thoughts on the matter; do you agree with this plan?
- Hello. This is the best place to talk to us as a whole. What "Status" were you talking about? I thought SEIWA and other wiki alliance groups were about generally advertising to one another. This allows all members of all wikis to find good wikis to ally with - to develop inter-wiki link procedures and other beneficial cross-content collaboration. As far as I'm concerned, having SEIWA noted on each home page is sufficient for the basic requirements of the alliance. --Notmyhandle (talk • contribs) 20:03, 13 September 2014 (UTC)
- By a dead status, we are referring to the fact that half of SEIWA's Wikis have reclined into complete inactivity since a single edit has not been made on them for the past 30 days, possibly longer. Additionally, the main SEIWA site itself has not had a single update for an extraordinarily long amount of time so it has been largely abandoned. The ex-SEIWA members will still be supporting and advertising each other by continuing as regular affiliations so that purpose will still be fulfilled. However, the affiliation will just no longer be under the name of SEIWA. For interest, Cronopedia has already agreed with the disbandment but we are still waiting to hear a response from the other Wikis. TheFifteenthMember (talk) 23:31, 13 September 2014 (UTC)
- I don't think we have a strong opinion on the matter. I didn't even know SEIWA had its own site. We can make a miscellaneous alliances section to replace the SEIWA section of our homepage. We will continue to link to the other SEIWA wikis as long as they reciprocate. Thank you for notifying us.--Notmyhandle (talk • contribs) 01:28, 16 September 2014 (UTC)
- There are 5 wikis that are a part of SEIWA. KHW, DQW and SW are all active. CW and SEW may not have many updates, but they are maintained (mediawiki is kept up to date). SEIWA is mostly just to have the communities in touch with each other and provide support/guidance when needed. I don't see much point in disbanding an affiliation, we're all still independent sites. -- Prod (talk) 20:59, 17 September 2014 (UTC)
- I think the main issue is that they want to retire the SEIWA website, which I think is fine (because it is not needed and costs someone extra $$). Otherwise I agree that we should just keep our site the same way. We can always improve our relations with the others. --Notmyhandle (talk • contribs) 23:48, 17 September 2014 (UTC)
- The SEIWA site is hosted on a VPS alongside the Fire Emblem Wiki, SE Wiki, and a few others. Retiring it won't save us any more money, the space we'd free up wouldn't be enough to enable us to downgrade the hosting package. Maybe we'd save on not having to renew the domain name, but that money would then have to be put towards buying a new one for the SE Wiki. --Moydow T · C 00:08, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
- I'm in agreement something needs to be done, but I don't think disbanding is the right answer. The reason it became inactive, was, mostly, due to not a lot of people helping out. And the few that were had to leave to do other things (watch over other wikis, settle offline problems, etc.). If anyone has any ideas of how to improve the site or any off the wikis, feel free to bring it up or even make the edits yourself. I'm sure they would appreciate it. Tacopill (talk) 02:32, 21 September 2014 (UTC)
Thanks for replying guys. The disbandment has been rejected and instead, there are plans of reviving SEIWA. There is also a discussion going on at the KHWiki; feel free to add your two cents to the thread. TheFifteenthMember (talk) 10:13, 21 September 2014 (UTC)
- Hey guys, I'm KeybladeSpyMaster, editor at the Kingdom Hearts Wiki. I'm really trying to get SEIWA back up, and we'd (The Kingdom Hearts Wiki) love to see it happen. However, we need your help. We need your input on how to get this done. I've started a forum on the SEIWA forums (which for some reason I cannot link, do to spam filters), which I hope you guys will get involved with. As I state in that forum, I'd especially love the people who were originally involved with SEIWA to come, so if you know any of them, please ask them to return if only to give us direction. Thanks! KeybladeSpyMaster (talk) 04:03, 21 October 2014 (UTC)
- Hello. You cannot post links until 10 days past your registration has occurred (at which point your user priveledges increase to 'trusted'). I do not think any of the members at StrategyWiki (note: I can only speak for myself), at this time, have the time or urge to be involved with the discussion elsewhere. Please let us know the result and how we may continue to be a member of SEIWA. We prefer 'passive' participation where possible. Thanks, --Notmyhandle (talk • contribs) 17:33, 21 October 2014 (UTC)
Legend of Zelda-Ocarina of Time in the Shadow Temple as an adult
I have put on my iron boots and I walk past the blade traps while going against the fan's wind gusts.There is fire being shot from the eye switch above. Using the Lens of Truth, I reveal a hidden room on the left of where I'm standing. I go into that room and bomb the pile of rocks on my right. Using the Lens of Truth a chest opens up to get a key. But I only get a rupee! I have shut off the game without saving, and it does the same thing again. How do I get that key for the next room? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Mrdon (talk • contribs) .
- It sounds like you missed a key in one of the previous rooms. From what I can tell, you should have acquired three so far. Note: although most of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's guide has been revised by myself into a verified, polished form, I have not yet gotten to the Shadow Temple. My apologies if it is missing information. --Notmyhandle (talk • contribs) 17:42, 22 September 2014 (UTC)
Questionable username sighted
According to the new user log, an account named "Adolf Hitler" (as in the infamous evil dictator, 1889-1945), was created today at 10:05; even though he might just be one of the many people who may create an account on here but never use it, he has named his account after one of the evilest people this world has ever known, so should he be blocked for an inappropriate choice of username? I know that Wikipedia blocks people if they choose to name their accounts after, or praise, any evil dictator (Stalin, Khomeini, Gaddafi, Hussein) - so should we do the same? Namcorules (talk) 15:07, 5 October 2014 (UTC)
- If this user, like so many others, registered and doesn't bother to edit, than we'll leave it alone. It will be an undesirable user name that is squatted on by someone who doesn't intend to use it. If they contribute, we'll deal with it at that point. Procyon 13:39, 6 October 2014 (UTC)
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U
Ok, so my query is that on the current 3DS version's talk page (Talk:Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS) it says that there is going to be a joint page for both Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Super Smash Bros Wii U, this page, to my knowledge, doesn't exist. I would be willing to put a bit of work in to make and update this page, however I'm not sure how to go about it. I mean possibly put two title information bars on each side of the page? I would do it, just don't know how to go about it, help, lol :)
- I've linked their table of contents. Just add information for the 3DS version since that is the only one released. Wii U information will come later. --Notmyhandle (talk • contribs) 17:00, 7 October 2014 (UTC)
- Ok, i'll do that then :), cheers
- --Lionrt60 T 17:05, 7 October 2014 (UTC)
- Unlike the Pokemon games, where (for example) red and blue were essentially the same game, these two games have slightly different infoboxes, so we can't really have a single shared guide. I've moved the toc to the 3DS guide, and the WiiU version transcludes it.
- --Lionrt60 T 17:05, 7 October 2014 (UTC)
Question on Deletion
I was preparing to add content to the Pokémon Emerald guide, when I noticed its /Glossary subpage is practically empty. It has exactly one revision, dated 16 January 2013, which adds a spurious table of contents that contains nothing but redlinks. As I cannot (currently) think of anything to place there, I was considering nominating that page for deletion. Unfortunately, I do not know what the relevant guidelines are here. Should I just remove links to it from its Table of Contents, ask an administrator to delete the page, or what? Thanks! Wjk (talk) 01:21, 13 October 2014 (UTC)
- Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It's probably a test page created by a random visitor that no one noticed, since the link to the page on the ToC was there before the page was created. As for nominating a page for deletion, you can insert the delete template at the very top of the page, as well as putting a note in the edit summary about marking the page for deletion. T.testLP(talk) 04:01, 13 October 2014 (UTC)
Asirra Captcha Service Shutdown
Signing up for a new account isn't possible right now because the captcha service the Wiki uses has shut down! The captcha element is currently set to be hidden on the page by default, which made me think it might be fixed already, but clicking the submit button does nothing. If you inspect the element and make it visible it reads:
- WARNING: Asirra, the cat and dog CAPTCHA, is closing permanently on October 6, 2014. Please contact this site's administrator and ask them to switch to a different CAPTCHA. Thank you!
Until this is fixed new users will be unable to sign up!
- 18.104.22.168 19:21, 21 October 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks for bringing this up, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Our lead tech has been a little busy as of late, but he is working on finding a suitable replacement, and will have it in place ASAP. We'll keep everyone updated. Procyon 18:47, 22 October 2014 (UTC)