From StrategyWiki, the video game walkthrough and strategy guide wiki
Utilities are for accessing or modifying data in Civilization IV or for other purposes like creating maps, debugging python code, editing XML.
- XML Marker is a free, user-friendly XML editor
- Altova XMLSpy 2006 Home Edition is the free version of the utility used by Firaxis itself!
- XML Editor is a commercial XML editor
- The HAP Python Debugger is a python remote debugger which can be used to monitor python scripts running in Civilization IV from the outside.
- The Gimp is an open source software package for creating and modifying pixel based graphical content.
- GIMP DDS plugin is a plugin for GIMP 2.x that allows you to load and save images in DDS format, which Civilization IV uses.
- Blender is an open source 3D modeler package which in the future might be useful together with Niftools to create and modify 3d-models for Civilization IV. (some reading materials about civ in the niftools forums can be found here and here)
- BMP to WBS Converter is a utility written by Jon Shafer, Rhye, Jesse Smith, Locutus and Door, that allows you make maps by drawing bitmaps and converting them to worldbuilder saves