Moon Patrol contains two unique "courses"; the easier Beginner Course, and the harder Champion Course which loops forever (and gets even more difficult) each time it's completed. Both courses are divided into twenty-six checkpoints labeled A through Z, which are further divided into five "stages". At the end of each stage, your time is compared to the average time for potential bonus points. After completely finishing a course, you will receive an additional 5000 points.
A - E
- In the very first stretch, you will encounter three pits, and two rocks. Jump over all of the pits and fire your cannon at the rocks.
- By the time you drive over A, two of the first alien crafts will appear overhead. They will be joined by two of the elliptical crafts. A rock will appear towards the end.
- Two more crafts appear while a rock approaches your buggy. A few more rocks and a pit will follow.
- Three elliptical crafts will appear. Destroy them for a 500 point bonus while you jump over the two pits and destroy the rock.
- Two tri-orb crafts will introduce themselves. Be careful of the pits that their grenades might make. They are quickly followed by two regular ships. One stone and one pit precedes the end.
F - J
- The section begins with two tri-orb crafts followed by two elliptical crafts. A pit and rock appear towards the end.
- More difficult obstacles appear, such as very deep pits, double rocks that must be fired on twice, and small rocks that must be hit by the explosion of the cannon shot.
- Two craft appear while you jump over large pits and destroy a few rocks that get in your way.
- There are simply two tri-orbs and two regular crafts in this section.
- The first group of three tri-orbs will appear. Destroy them all for 500 points. Then a rapid succession of pits and rocks will occur, including double and small rocks. You may wish to slow down towards the end to deal with them all.
K - O
- This section introduces you to land mines, the small objects that flash white and red. Like pits, they can not be destroyed and must be jumped over. They tend to occur in rapid succession, so it is recommended that you travel no faster than regular speed until you are an expert player.
- More mines in this section. When two mines are approximately two buggy lengths apart, it is important to jump over the first one considerably early so that you don't land on the second, and have enough time to jump off the ground before you reach it.
- Many of the mines you encounter here come in pairs, but they are no more difficult to jump at regular speed than single mines.
- Space craft resume their attack and this time four of the first type appear to attack. Destroy them all for an 800 point bonus. This is followed by three elliptical crafts, worth 500 bonus points if they are all destroyed.
- Four tri-orbs appear, followed by three elliptical crafts. If you can destroy them all, you'll net a 1300 point bonus.
P - T
- A quad of tri-orbs start off this section, followed by three regular crafts.
- This section is the first uphill climb that you encounter. Boulders of all three sizes will fall down the hill in no larger groups than pairs. Even the smallest boulders should be easy to shoot.
- Four elliptical craft appear. Be aware that their bombs don't need to travel as far in order to hit you. Also keep your eyes open for the large pits and double rock formations that show up.
- As you begin to descend downhill, a pair of both regular space crafts will appear and bomb you from overhead.
- Three regular crafts appear near simultaneously with three tri-orb craft. Stay alert to newly formed pits.
U - Z
- A rapid succession of pits and double rocks appear. Take this section at the normal speed until you feel comfortable speeding up.
- As soon as the pits and rock end, you will encounter your first two tanks. Four more tanks are waiting for you after a large pit. Fire rapidly to overcome their bullets and destroy them.
- A series of four deep pits precedes an uphill climb, complete with rolling boulders.
- Four regular craft and three elliptical crafts appear while you're positioned closer to the sky.
- Three regular crafts are followed by three tri-orb crafts.
- Three more tri-orb crafts and three elliptical crafts fire from overhead while you must avoid a final series of pits and rocks to reach the end of the course.
A - E
- Three regular craft and three elliptical craft bomb you from overhead at the start of the Champion Course.
- You first tangle with a rocket car will occur. It will trail behind you until it is ready to strike. Stay fast, and don't do anything until it begins to approach you. When it's half way between you and the edge of the screen, jump up and let it sail underneath you. Fire as soon as you land to destroy it for 500 points.
- A few tanks occur among pits and rock. The last tank in this section is positioned just after a large pit. It's difficult to destroy both the tank's bullet and the tank, so fire at the bullet and leap over the pit and the tank in one jump.
- More tanks appear with short breaks of pits and rocks.
- Four regular crafts fly in while you must continue to navigate over several deep pits and clear the rocks in your way. Destroy all of the crafts for 800 bonus points.
F - J
- Three pairs of tri-orbs appear, providing a near constant shower of grenades. No bonus points are awarded for destroying all of the crafts because they are considered pairs.
- A tricky succession of pits and rocks occur. They frequently occur back to back, requiring you to clear the rock in front of the pit before jumping, or forcing you to delay your jump so that you can destroy the rock behind the pit. Slow the buggy down if your jumps are landing too close to the next obstacle.
- Four tri-orb crafts are accompanied by four regular crafts for a total potential bonus of 1600 points. At the very end of this section, you will be introduced to pit plants. Even if you manage to destroy them, remember to jump over the pits.
- Three of the regular and elliptical crafts appear among more pits and rocks.
- Four tri-orb crafts arrive. Destroy them as quickly as possible before the terrain gets more difficult up ahead. Among the pits and rocks are pit plants that must be dealt with. Slow the buggy down towards the end.
K - O
- This section starts off with an uphill climb. Boulders now appear more frequently and groups of three are not uncommon. Do not be determined to destroy them all. Leap over a set if they prove too difficult to shoot in time.
- Four regular crafts and three elliptical crafts stream onto the screen during your higher elevation.
- Mines begin to appear again, some in very close proximity to one another. Slow your speed down until you get the rhythm of the jumps.
- More mines appear. In this section, some mine pairs are so close that it's actually possible to hurdle the combination at top speed, but this requires great familiarity with the mine sequence before attempting.
- Five tri-orbs appear, for a unique chance at a 1000 point bonus for clearing them all. Four regular crafts appear as well.
P - T
- As soon as you begin your descent down the hill, five elliptical crafts swarm overhead with four regular crafts. Once you reach the bottom of the hill, a tricky combination of rocks and pits occurs, so clear the crafts as quickly as possible.
- The pits continue to come at a relatively easy pace. A rocket car will appear while you continue to jump pits. The land will level out and eventually the rocket care will launch itself at you. Jump to avoid it, and shoot it as you land, but be ready to jump the next pit the comes up almost immediately.
- Rocks occur on either side of some pits now, some grouped in pairs. The very end of the section contains closely arranged land mines.
- More rocks and pits show up, with the pit plants occupying the later batch.
- Five tri-orbs are accompanied by three elliptical crafts. A few rocks show up towards the end.
U - Z
- As the section starts out, a few rocks and pits get in your way before a rocket car appears. This time, it will launch shortly after you land from a jump over a pit, so be ready to jump back up again as the car approaches.
- A number of mines appear. In the middle, two rocks must be destroyed. Use this as a cue to speed up quite a bit, because a pair of mines roughly one buggy's width apart must be leaped over simultaneously and you need a good bit of speed.
- A total of five tri-orb crafts and five regular crafts will appear to launch an attack over you. Continue to monitor forward for grenade pits.
- A rapid succession of pits, rocks, and pit plants occur here. It is best to travel at normal or slower speed to ensure that you have time to destroy every obstacle in your way.
- Five tri-orbs and four regular craft will dominate the sky above you.
- A full combination of tanks, pits, rocks, and plants will assail you during the very final section of the Champion Course.