Jump to navigation Jump to search
Here is a list of common acronyms and shortforms in the online multiplayer gaming world. This list may not be comprehensive.
- Away From Keyboard; typically suggests that a player is currently inactive, but still logged on or in the game.
- Artificial Intelligence; refers to computer-controlled characters or teams in a game.
- Short for "at the moment".
- Bad Ass
- Bye Bye
- Bathroom Break
- Biological (bathroom) break
- Buddy list
- Be Back Later
- Be Right Back
- By The Way.
- A short version of character
- Code of Conduct that players agree to; basically the standard set of in-game rules.
- Critical hit or lucky hit meaning extra damage is done to a target.
- Disconnected (also written as D/C)
- term meaning just went up a level
- Deathmatch — a mode in multiplayer games where every player is against every other player.
- Don't worry.
- Experience (in RPGs)
- the left and right sides of an army, or the verb for attacking from the sides; commonly misused for attacking from behind.
- For The Win - Used when saying something is the best
- Good Game
- Good Job
- Good Luck
- Short for 'get the f**k off'.
- Got To Go (leave) or Good To Go (OK), depending on context
- Health/Hit Points
- I don't care.
- I don't know.
- I don't think so.
- In-Game Name.
- If I recall correctly.
- I love you
- In my humble opinion/In my honest opinion
- In Real Life
- Just Kidding or "joke".
- Laugh/Laughing my a** off — used when someone says something really funny.
- Laugh/Laughing my f**king a** off, or Laugh/Laughing my fat a** off — used when someone says something extremely funny.
- Laugh Out Loud
- Commonly used when a player levels up.
- A new player to the game.
- Common insult used for describing experienced players who behave like newbies.
- Non-Player Character.
- Oh my f**king god.
- Oh My God/Gosh
- Term used for describing a sound defeat.
- Term commonly used to 'question' something fishy.
- Oh my Jesus
- Player Character — contrast with NPC
- The amount of server latency a player experiences (typically in milliseconds; anything above 50 is not good).
- Player Killer
- Whisper/Private Message
- Player vs. Player combat
- Player vs. Monster combat
- Common, intentional misspelling of 'owned', with same meaning.
- An alternative spelling of "roar"
- Rolling On the Floor Laughing at something really funny.
- To question the spelling of a word, or indicate you're unsure of it.
- Entering text (in chat, for example) too fast and annoying people, or repeating an in-game action very fast.
- Shut the fuck up
- to normaly use a fully automatic weapon
- Too much info, used when someone says too much info causing them to feel uncomfortable.
- Terms of Service which players agree to; states various rules on legal issues.
- Talk To You Later
- Welcome Back
- Whoa Oh My God — Another variant of OMG.
- What The Crap (uncommon)
- What The Fuck
- What The Hell/Heck. Often used by people who are uncomfortable with the use of the word 'f**k.'
- A yell of joy
- Another way of saying OMG, can also be used sarcastically.